Saltwater Premix Question

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my never ending quest to gather as much information as I can BEFORE I start my tank, I have a question about premixing saltwater for water changes.
I know that regular water changing is very important for keeping a health reef aquarium. Having premixed, ready to go, saltwater will make that task easier.
Does it make more sense to keep a few 5 gallon buckets around, mix the saltwater in them during the week and seal the bucket with a cover, so they’re ready to go for the water change on the weekend? Or, get a 55 gallon drum (I actually have access to some clean ones), mix up 50 gallons of saltwater and siphon water out of that for the water changes (I saw that someone else on a post uses a 55g drum)? If the drum is the better method, would you keep some powerheads or a pump in there to keep the water moving, since it will be sitting for awhile?
The only problem that I see with the drum method is the availability of RODI water. I don’t have my own equipment yet, so I’d have to get it from my LFS.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my never ending quest to gather as much information as I can BEFORE I start my tank, I have a question about premixing saltwater for water changes.
I know that regular water changing is very important for keeping a health reef aquarium. Having premixed, ready to go, saltwater will make that task easier.
Does it make more sense to keep a few 5 gallon buckets around, mix the saltwater in them during the week and seal the bucket with a cover, so they’re ready to go for the water change on the weekend? Or, get a 55 gallon drum (I actually have access to some clean ones), mix up 50 gallons of saltwater and siphon water out of that for the water changes (I saw that someone else on a post uses a 55g drum)? If the drum is the better method, would you keep some powerheads or a pump in there to keep the water moving, since it will be sitting for awhile?
The only problem that I see with the drum method is the availability of RODI water. I don’t have my own equipment yet, so I’d have to get it from my LFS.
Depends on the size of your tank... personally I don't like to use premixed water after about a week or so

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy 2 Brute trash bins. One for fresh and one for salt water. Put an inexpensive power head and heater in each. Mix up your salt in one. Use them as needed. Always good to have ready water around. If you end up sticking with the hobby then you can get fancy down the line and build a mixing station.

OP
OP
Guns286

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of your tank... personally I don't like to use premixed water after about a week or so
I have a 50g. That’s on the small side compared to some of you guys! I think it would make things a lot easier if I had RODI equipment. Man, this hobby is like having a hot rod, or Harley! There’s always something else to get!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Ro/DI is a must with SW. I rank it right up there with the tank.

I was once told a long time ago by a very well known fellow reefer....

Take this hobby as a water keeper perspective, everything revolves around your water, and how pristine you keep it. If yuo keep your water right, the inhabitants in the water will thrive.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g, I mix directly in the 5g buckets of RO with a cheap pump and a heater, and let it mix and heat up while I'm siphoning the water out of the tank. My LFS offers premixed water, which I only get if I need to change a large amount of water quickly, since at home I can only do 1 5g bucket at a time

busfullofderps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having your own ro/di water filter system (~$150) and mixing with your preference in salt at home alleviates the need to buy a bunch of buckets from your LFS. Just fill what you need and mix for 2 hours with a powerhead and heater before doing your water change.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I use to use the 50g food grade barrel drum. I also have a 100g brute troft. Like a large Rubbermaid horse troft.

I agree it depends on the size of the display and the water volume you have and needs to justify it all.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50g. That’s on the small side compared to some of you guys! I think it would make things a lot easier if I had RODI equipment. Man, this hobby is like having a hot rod, or Harley! There’s always something else to get!
There is a lot to get but for me it's been cheaper than than either. Also not everything is necessary but an RO system and a couple of brute containers would pay for them themselves quickly. Plus if you need water for an emergency it on hand. I added my RO system and split it before the DI so we have RO water to drink and for the ice maker. Wife actually thought the RO system was for her because she hates tap water to drink:winking-face:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back