Saltwater sunbeam: Do you have a Yellow Tang?

Do you have a Yellow Tang?

• Yes, I currently have a Yellow Tang.

Votes: 228 38.1%
  • No, but I have kept a Yellow Tang in the past.

Votes: 138 23.0%
  • No, but I am willing to pay the current prices if I could find one.

Votes: 33 5.5%
  • No, I am waiting until they are less expensive again.

Votes: 133 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 11.2%

• Total voters

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice! looks exactly like the juvenile yellow tangs I saw diving in Maui a few weeks ago.
That's awesome! I'm no expert, but I truly don't see how there would be any kind of scientific reason that captive bred fish would not look basically exactly like wild caught, perhaps other than diet or something or regional variances. I honestly think maybe it's just in people's heads... and the fact that before the cb were available, no one had really seen the little transparent looking juveniles in stores for purchase. I haven't even had mine a year and now she obviously looks great. I used to breed a couple types of freshwater fish, and the juveniles are definitely kind of transparent when very young. Then they all mature and look perfectly normal, lol. I figure that just must have something to do with people's opinions, but also I don't know, maybe there are some who have compared the two side by side and truly do see a difference in the yellow tangs. Either way, I want to support captive breeding efforts as much as possible. :)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one a few years ago. Was a complete jerk to everything in the tank (regularly was tail slapping my Coral Beauty and chasing it through the rock work). Replaced it with a One Spot Foxface and the tank has been much happier since. One thing though, he tried to take on my Melanurus Wrasse and got more than he bargained for when the Melanurus went straight behind the Yellow Tang and tried to bite it's tail (Scalpel and all). The Yellow Tang sped off in a hurry and didn't bother the Wrasse much after that. My Melanurus generally didn't bother much, but NO ONE PUSHED HIM AROUND.

Shredman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I just lost my Yellow Tang in March .... @&*#&#@(&@(

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've got a yellow tang that I've had for many years. It's been a looooong day at work, and my brain is frazzled right now but I want to say I've had it for 12 or 13 years. It's about 6", nose to tail and is a very peaceful resident of my tank(s). Not my best photography work, but here's a cell phone pic that includes my YT.

Screenshot_20230505_145027_Gallery.jpg

equinox87uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There was a time when yellow tangs seemed to be everywhere. It seemed as if they were nearly as ubiquitous as clownfish in fish stores and in home aquariums. Collecting restrictions were then put in place, prices went way, way up, and yellow tangs are…well…they are no longer everywhere. Yes, captive bred yellow tangs are available, but not at the same level and some would suggest that they do not have the same look. Please share your thoughts on the availability and desirability of Yellow Tangs in the discussion thread.

PRO TIP: A healthy diet is crucial for maintaining the bright coloration of a yellow tang. Offer a varied diet that includes high-quality foods and algae strips to snack on during the day. Make sure to feed your yellow tang small portions throughout the day rather than one large meal.

ReefPro_YellowTang.jpeg

Photo by @Reef Pro

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
1682696385541.png
"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities"

There was a time when yellow tangs seemed to be everywhere. It seemed as if they were nearly as ubiquitous as clownfish in fish stores and in home aquariums. Collecting restrictions were then put in place, prices went way, way up, and yellow tangs are…well…they are no longer everywhere. Yes, captive bred yellow tangs are available, but not at the same level and some would suggest that they do not have the same look. Please share your thoughts on the availability and desirability of Yellow Tangs in the discussion thread.

PRO TIP: A healthy diet is crucial for maintaining the bright coloration of a yellow tang. Offer a varied diet that includes high-quality foods and algae strips to snack on during the day. Make sure to feed your yellow tang small portions throughout the day rather than one large meal.

ReefPro_YellowTang.jpeg

Photo by @Reef Pro

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
1682696385541.png
"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities"
I’m in the UK - yellow tangs used to be around £40 years ago and now I’ve seen them anywhere between £250-£500! We never thought we would get to own another at these price but then a lady who could no longer keep her tank gifted us this beautiful girl! She is sweet and gentle and really has character! My absolute favourite now.
IMG_4234.png

lane2800

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this guy is in my qt now, trying to figure out what he is, he is believed to be either a yellow scopas or a scopas/yellow hybrid? can anyone tell the difference? just received 3 baby yellows from biota today, they are very tiny and almost clear in the bag, hopefully just stress they are headed into my frag tank to make sure they are good before going into the display

Attachments

• yellow scopas .jpg
    yellow scopas .jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 20
  • yellow scopas 2.jpg
    yellow scopas 2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 23

c_ronius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for about 4 years. I don't think I would pay current prices, but I applaud anyone who can support the captive bred efforts.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back