Saltwater sunbeam: Do you have a Yellow Tang?

Do you have a Yellow Tang?

• Yes, I currently have a Yellow Tang.

Votes: 228 38.1%
  • No, but I have kept a Yellow Tang in the past.

Votes: 138 23.0%
  • No, but I am willing to pay the current prices if I could find one.

Votes: 33 5.5%
  • No, I am waiting until they are less expensive again.

Votes: 133 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 11.2%

• Total voters

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biota yellow tang is a beautiful deep yellow, just like the wild collected ones I had many years ago. I heard the rumblings of them not being the same color and was worried when it arrived a pale yellow, but since then it has grown quickly and has really colored up. What I like about them is there are so few corals that are truly yellow so they are a great way to add some yellow to your tank. That said, if you run all blues you will be let down by their color, though that is true for almost all fish.

Darren

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biota yellow tang is a beautiful deep yellow, just like the wild collected ones I had many years ago. I heard the rumblings of them not being the same color and was worried when it arrived a pale yellow, but since then it has grown quickly and has really colored up. What I like about them is there are so few corals that are truly yellow so they are a great way to add some yellow to your tank. That said, if you run all blues you will be let down by their color, though that is true for almost all fish.

Darren
Yes very few yellow corals but so many yellow fish. I only have 6 fish and 2 are yellow and almost any other I can add at this point is yellow...Went with a Diamond Goby so he wouldn't be yellow too!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Rescued Yellow Tang, other than the Gas to go and get it, it was free. BTW I Visited Hawaii twice and Snorkeled, the Yellow Tangs, almost formed a Yellow wall.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pidgeon's of the reef. For the price Hawaii and Biota can keep them. "Over collection" or not I seriously doubt there's any shortage of them in the ocean if you're in the right place. It's all about extremist environmental politics and of course natives wanting to keep tang collection for themselves to eat.

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have two yellow tang from biota for 6 months . They turned beautiful bright yellow with time . Problem is they constant fighting . Trying to kill each other . I am lucky both still alive . Just occasionally have beat up fins .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah, I have a couple. . .LOL

1682957565647.png
1682957619587.png

Last edited:

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other: I would love to have one/some and have wanted one ever since getting into the hobby but there's some conditions that would need to be met for me to do it.

Most importantly I need to get a larger tank, followed by having a happy and healthy tank. Only then would I consider paying the pricing that they are at the moment.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellows are great fish - eat algae constantly, not aggressive, great color. well not as great as it used to be. I have a biota and it is definitely paler yellow than the wild caught. That said I have been to hawaii several times since the 1980s (wow I'm old) and mutiple isalnds several times - oahu, maui, kauai, hawaii. In the 80s you could see vast schools of yellows fairly commonly. Adults get as big as a dinner plate; I have never seen one that large in captivity. On recent trips to Hawaii (I snorkel every day) I saw 2 adult yellows total, just a one pair swimming along a reef. It's my own experience but I feel absolutely sure the wild population in way down. So go biota guys. I'll give up a shade of yellow to know they're getting a shot to recover out there.
In just a few months my captive bred yellow has grown and colored up to to a deep, bright yellow. I don't notice a difference in color compared to the wild caught now that mine has matured a bit. :)

It's sad to picture the lone pair you saw I'm Hawaii. I'm glad I went with captive bred.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I bought two yellow Biota tangs approximately 8 months ago. When we first received them they were almost albino and ~one-inch long. We were so worried that they’d never look like the wild yellow tangs we dived with in Hawaii. To say the least we had some buyers remorse. Today, our tangs are almost three inches long and are BRIGHT yellow. Amazing to watch the change in color and growth. You wouldn’t notice any difference between a wild caught or lab raised yellow tang. Not sure if this is the case for everyone, but for we are true believes in lab raised yellow tangs.
I've had the same experience with mine - she was tiny and almost see thru when I got her, but a few months later she has grown and colored up and is a beautiful, deep yellow. So bright! Also a jerk, but that's besides the point, lol.

OSFF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same experience with mine - she was tiny and almost see thru when I got her, but a few months later she has grown and colored up and is a beautiful, deep yellow. So bright! Also a jerk, but that's besides the point, lol.
glad to see these posts. I've been on the fence about getting a captive bred one because they've always looked a bit "off" to me but now I'll have to give it a shot.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to see these posts. I've been on the fence about getting a captive bred one because they've always looked a bit "off" to me but now I'll have to give it a shot.
100% go for it! I recommend Dr. Reef (bought most of my fish from him, including the cb tang). :) Definitely don't be worried about how they look at first - I've had wild caught in the past and I really don't see a difference now that the cb is growing and filling out. Beautiful fish, and I like to support captive breeding efforts. The cost was worth it in my opinion if you want one. Here's mine:

Screenshot_20230501_214836_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

OSFF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% go for it! I recommend Dr. Reef (bought most of my fish from him, including the cb tang). :) Definitely don't be worried about how they look at first - I've had wild caught in the past and I really don't see a difference now that the cb is growing and filling out. Beautiful fish, and I like to support captive breeding efforts. The cost was worth it in my opinion if you want one. Here's mine:

Screenshot_20230501_214836_Gallery.jpg
very nice! looks exactly like the juvenile yellow tangs I saw diving in Maui a few weeks ago.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Hawaiians here. Lost my first one to a velvet outbreak and hated not having that splash of yellow in the tank. The two I have came into my lfs from tank tear downs. I paid a premium but that's the way this hobby is at times. No worse than paying hundreds for latest mystical torch with a fancy name or a 1/2" nub of super duper not so colorful after I receive it acro frag.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked one up from a guy who wasn't taking care of it, trying my best to get it back in shape and colour. it's eating good and has a full belly today.

I'm on day 2 today.
IMG_20230501_192719.jpg
IMG_20230501_192644.jpg

Saturday, pick up day
IMG_20230429_190352.jpg
IMG_20230429_190327.jpg
IMG_20230430_162410.jpg

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have two yellows in a 300 with a purple, blonde naso, tomini and a blue hippo...all are buddies for over a year..

Villious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 month old Biota yellow. He’s colored up nicely, and is very healthy. Not cheap, but he is a staple of many years of reef keeping for me.

MW319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a yellow tang and a yellow eye kole tang for $68 in march 2019 on sale at a local LFS. Both are still doing great.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back