SaltwaterandLime's epic adhd build thread....

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had taken a few days off this weekend for Reefstock Denver, but we ended up not being able to go. I still kept the days off anyway and am using the time to work on plumbing the 150. Three trips to Lowe's so far and I'm sure there will be more! But I'm off from Thursday until Tuesday so plenty of time to figure this out!

1000020617.jpg

1000020611.jpg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had taken a few days off this weekend for Reefstock Denver, but we ended up not being able to go. I still kept the days off anyway and am using the time to work on plumbing the 150. Three trips to Lowe's so far and I'm sure there will be more! But I'm off from Thursday until Tuesday so plenty of time to figure this out!

1000020617.jpg

1000020611.jpg
Just my 2c but no need for a throttle on the emergency drain.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2c but no need for a throttle on the emergency drain.
It's not really there as a throttle, more as a way to completely cut off water between the tank and the sump if I ever needed to. Probably never need it, but rather have it just in case.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak test found two leaks.... one somewhat major, one I could have ignored because it only leaked directly into the sump. Repaired both leaks, going to wait until tomorrow to test again

1000020659.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish, rock, and inverts have been in the stock tank since January when we broke down the red sea tank. We lost one clownfish really early on for unknown reasons....(I haven't told the kids but i highly suspect the cat).... but all 6 of my other fish are healthy and transferred over to the new 150 with no issues. Only other livestock I think we lost is my red brittle star. It may still appear though and might have just been hiding in the rock....I saw it fairly often when I was feeding the stock tank

1000020701.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 150 we currently have 2 tangs, 2 wrasse, a basslet, and a clown.... will probably wait a while before adding any more fish... but Austin and the boys are asking for anthias and chromis.

........also an eel and a shark but I'm not even considering those requests

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eventual goal in the house is to reduce down to only 3 tanks....(had 7 going for a while, but all nano/small tanks)..... plus I guess the qt system that will only be up occasionally but I don't really count that. I just know I need to find a way to have less daily maintenance to do.

Part of the struggle for me is going to be figuring out which corals do best in which system...part of why I have so many nanos is its been easier to just have a separate tank for every different thing I want to keep.

So the goal to keep;

I have the BTA tank that also has soft corals in it and they mostly seem to be doing well. A couple of the leathers might move to the 150 in the future but for now I think I'm going to leave them like they are.

The 150 is going to be a mixed reef with some sps, but I don't think I'm ready to go full acropora yet..

And the 50g is going to be lower flow with mostly euphyllia and flowy LPS.

We've decided to hold off on my carpet anemone dream for now. I think I want to focus on just keeping what I have stable and successful for a while before I try to learn something entirely new.

Can't decide where I'm going to place my duncan and chalices though

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished getting all 4 lights up over the 150. Had just had the front 2 on at first until we got everything moved out of the 30g.

I'm really happy with how even the coverage is with the way i hung the lights. Hopefully i can borrow the par meter again soon to get a better idea of where I'm at with intensity.

1000020829.jpg
1000020826.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind if hard to show in pictures, but I'm still dealing with a lot of micro bubbles in the 50g. I think I need to play around with the sump baffles a little bit

1000020833.jpg
1000020831.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 4 systems in my house. The 30g on the bottom is currently invert only and will eventually be an observation/quarantine system for when I finally bring in some new fish for the 150. Then the plan was for it to eventually go away and get broken down and sold.

Part of me is somewhat considering moving the few LPS corals from the 50g into the new 150 with the SPS, and then moving the bubble tip anemones and the maroon clowns from the 20g into the 50 and breaking down the 20 also so I would end up with only 2 systems to maintain and reduce my workload a bit ..

... however that leaves me with a somewhat moral/ethical struggle in my head that I can't seem to get past. In order to go from 3 systems to only 2, I would need to get rid of at least 1 clownfish or 1 pair... but that bothers me. Like I wouldn't randomly give up a cat or dog just because we needed to downsize our home, so why would I do that for a fish pet that I've made the same commitment to. Am I the only one that sees it that way? I dunno....I know that I'm struggling to keep up with house responsibilities right now and I need to find a way to balance that somehow, but at the same time it just bothers me to think about

1000021075.jpg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think maybe all the clowns would be ok in the largest tank together? Otherwise maybe your lfs can accept them and give you store cresit?

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After this weekend we are down to 3 tanks, all in the living room.

All stony coral went into the 150 together, all soft coral went into the 30g, and the bubble tips and Maroon clowns went into the 50g. Broke down the 20g entirely.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently dosing AFR plus some additional alkalinity by itself. Right now I don't seem to be consuming things equally and when I was trying to dose just the AFR, in order to keep alk stable my calcium was rising to much

1000021228.jpg

1000021226.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super excited about this amazing CADE tank we won at reefapalooza orlando this weekend.

Before the show Austin had made me promise no more new tanks, and then he decided to enter this raffle. We were both super shocked when they called his number Sunday afternoon!! Austin still isn't sure if he's happy or annoyed but mostly a little bit of both...

I'm still really overwhelmed and have no idea what my plan is for this, but still excited.

Thanks to @AquaticReefDesign , @AlgaeBarn , @Kessil , @cadeaquariums

1000021732.jpg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super excited about this amazing CADE tank we won at reefapalooza orlando this weekend.

Before the show Austin had made me promise no more new tanks, and then he decided to enter this raffle. We were both super shocked when they called his number Sunday afternoon!! Austin still isn't sure if he's happy or annoyed but mostly a little bit of both...

I'm still really overwhelmed and have no idea what my plan is for this, but still excited.

Thanks to @AquaticReefDesign , @AlgaeBarn , @Kessil , @cadeaquariums

1000021732.jpg
Congrats!!

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it but I think we are going to try to sell or trade the cade system. We got it home and into the house and it's just so tall compared to our other tanks.... it's a beautiful tank, I'm just not sure I'm going to be able to maintain it.... it's so tall it's almost intimidating....I don't know, we'll see. It's frustrating because it's super exciting to win something like this, and then realize it's more than you ever expected.....

I think we'd be better off selling it and getting another lagoon style innovative marine tank like the others we have

Last edited:

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it but I think we are going to try to sell or trade the cade system. We got it home and into the house and it's just so tall compared to our other tanks.... it's a beautiful tank, I'm just not sure I'm going to be able to maintain it.... it's so tall it's almost intimidating....I don't know, we'll see. It's frustrating because it's super exciting to win something like this, and then realize it's more than you ever expected.....

I think we'd be better off selling it and getting another lagoon style innovative marine tank like the others we have
Wish I was closer ;)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back