Saltwaterfish.com experience

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please move the thread if it's in the wrong place.

Has anyone ordered from saltwaterfish.com? Good, bad, same as other online vendors?

Please give me your experience, not just "they suck because they wouldn't refund my shipping."

They have been around for a while, so they can't be to bad. They would be out of business.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered from them several times. Everything I got was as expected.
My last order was on 3-7
these guys and a couple of corals
IMG_2400_heic-XL.jpg

Both are doing fine. My luck holds.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong company :) in my first review...

Saltwaterfish was decent, my 8 year old green wrasse and blue tang came from them with no issues. Make sure you have a good acclimation process in advance because they ship in EXTREMELY low salinity. You will kill your fish if you just temp acclimate and throw them in the tank.

Just like others, don't assume they don't have ich either. No fish store is immune to that.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Saltwaterfish was decent, my 8 year old green wrasse and blue tang came from them with no issues. Make sure you have a good acclimation process in advance because they ship in EXTREMELY low salinity. You will kill your fish if you just temp acclimate and throw them in the tank.

Just like others, don't assume they don't have ich either. No fish store is immune to that.
I always Salinity match the QT. I also treat for parasites.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased fish and corals from them, I agree with acclimation and salinity. Never had a problem with fish or corals and customer service has always been great, very prompt.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed the order yesterday for Saturday delivery. I always pay extra for the Saturday delivery when possible. The fish is out of the box faster and I have more time than if I ship it to work.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrived at 10:30 this morning, he was in the water around 12. He arrived ok, but a but freaked out as expected. He has some broken spines so I think that he must have puffed up on the bag during transport.

He had some jumbo mysis a little while ago. He doesn't associate me as the food guy yet, but I'm sure that will change soon.

IMG_20200328_210033__01.jpg

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BTW, you weren't kidding about the salinity. It was about 24ppt (1.017). I set the QT at 1.020 anticipating it, but was suprised that I had to lower it more.

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for anyone that may know the answer, why do they ship in such a low salinity level? Are their better success rates when reef fish are shipped in a lower specific gravity? Never heard of that until reading up on this site’s reviews. I also only order corals online for the most part I haven’t ever had to purchase my fish online. But they have a great deal on a blue spotted jaw fish so I’ve been reading up

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for anyone that may know the answer, why do they ship in such a low salinity level? Are their better success rates when reef fish are shipped in a lower specific gravity? Never heard of that until reading up on this site’s reviews. I also only order corals online for the most part I haven’t ever had to purchase my fish online. But they have a great deal on a blue spotted jaw fish so I’ve been reading up
Low salinity levels keep parasites at bay. I don't know if there is any benefit to shipping that way, but it's probably the same as the water the holding tanks are in.

That being said, I had a good experience last year, Otto is still with me and thriving.
Last month I ordered 2 Lionfish. Paid much more than the market value but I didn't mind. They arrived DOA. In my opinion they got cheap and didn't use enough water in the bags so they could use a smaller box.

I'm not sure if I will order again.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheaper costs in salt too. these big retailers are running much larger systems and salt costs can add up quick.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back