OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
Finally got a chance to update my feed and share some photos! Hope you all enjoy :)
ACAN COLONY MORPHED!

Owned for about 2-3 years now and recently has had an explosion of growth and morph in color!

Colors I see: Orange, Red, yellow, green, white stripes.

When I first brought it home the green would only show in the mouth however, this is the update:
- Couple heads have Green on the outer rim
- Couple heads have green on both outer rim and the mouth
- Some heads have no green at all yet retain the orange red yellow and white stripes.
Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 15.27.58.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
Happy Lunar New Year!

I thought this specimen best represented Red Envelopes due to its intense coloration.
Pictures don't do this justice. Need to somehow improve my content...
Started from 1 polyp and we pushing 5. Curious when the black comes in?

Enjoy. WWC OG RAINBOW BLASTO
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 08.38.16.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
Special Delivery to my Dad:

My pops been a die hard reefer since the 80s and basically brought me up in the hobby. Now that I have really invested myself and ran with this whole reef thing, I've been meaning to gift him a special collectors item coral that he'd appreciate. (Also a thank you gesture since he shut down his tanks temporarily in 98 when I was born)

Chalice is his favorite type of coral so I've been on the hunt to find something completely different from your typical rainbow / dynamite / jellybean. Finally, that time has come.
I'd like to show off the newest addition to our collection. MELTED SKITTLES CHALICE

In my eyes, this is definitely one of the craziest or most exotic chalice that I've come across. Enjoy the content. *ALL PICTURES ARE NOT MINE*
The first 2 pictures are macros of the colony up close and the bottom 2 is the original mother colony upon import.

Can't wait to receive the frag coming in. Might attempt to make a video out of it just to document the memories

38D1DB61-E140-4DCB-9E3C-467DC29584CD.JPG
8E1F5BA4-1984-44AA-B596-6B69A6CEFF4E.JPG
E49FBCE3-8034-48D7-9FFC-D839D41BDCDA.JPG

99D7062D-1BED-40EA-BEC8-AFE66C0F9D09.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
@Salty_Taste - how did you like your IM 14 Peninsula? I was thinking of getting this tank. How's the quality? What don't you like about it
This is my first tank that I've cared and owned. Honestly, love it.

Build quality is good, love the top mesh that it comes with, back overflow is a bit narrow for my liking but I'm just nitpicking at this point. For a starter aquarium or nano for the room / office, it's perfect. In terms of being able to fit skimmers or other equipment, I don't know because my setup is very simple.

What I don't like, you outgrow it very quick and because of its size, livestock is extremely limited. But that is just me diving deeper into the hobby and looking to get a bigger tank at this point. Absolutely love innovative marine and planning to upgrade my tank next to a 25 lagoon.

Hope this helps

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank that I've cared and owned. Honestly, love it.

Build quality is good, love the top mesh that it comes with, back overflow is a bit narrow for my liking but I'm just nitpicking at this point. For a starter aquarium or nano for the room / office, it's perfect. In terms of being able to fit skimmers or other equipment, I don't know because my setup is very simple.

What I don't like, you outgrow it very quick and because of its size, livestock is extremely limited. But that is just me diving deeper into the hobby and looking to get a bigger tank at this point. Absolutely love innovative marine and planning to upgrade my tank next to a 25 lagoon.

Hope this helps

This does help. Space is limited for me so a 20gal or 14/15 gal would be my max. Interested in the IM and Waterbox versions.

I know what you mean by outgrowing it quickly. My tank has gone trough phases or corals bought and corals sold off. I know what I like now.... just limited by space.

OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
This does help. Space is limited for me so a 20gal or 14/15 gal would be my max. Interested in the IM and Waterbox versions.

I know what you mean by outgrowing it quickly. My tank has gone trough phases or corals bought and corals sold off. I know what I like now.... just limited by space.
I would do the biggest you can fit if possible haha... 20 gal long is always nice! Check out Waterbox 25 peninsula because its similar to the IM 20 gal in dimensions

Goodluck on your find! Excited to see your journey.
Time for us nano reefers to really show out!

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the biggest you can fit if possible haha... 20 gal long is always nice! Check out Waterbox 25 peninsula because its similar to the IM 20 gal in dimensions

Goodluck on your find! Excited to see your journey.
Time for us nano reefers to really show out!

Agree! I saw the Waterbox 25 Peninsula in a LFS and it looked surprisingly big with a small footprint.

OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY

Ever since the power outage, my heater has been acting up. I came home just right now to a burning smell in my room. Initially, I thought I burned out a bulb in my light but when I touched my tank, it was HOT. I check the temperature it was 84!!!! It's usually set at 76 so I immediately turned off my lights, unplugged my heater and took it out. The night after the power outage, I remember it rose to 80 degrees and I followed the same procedure.

I was tempted to place ice in my tank immediately in hopes to bring it down to at least 80 but my dad said not to shock the corals and let it go down naturally. This is very frustrating. Glad I caught it when I did but I hope all the corals adjust okay...

Anyone have any experience with this? Cobalt Neotherm 75w. Very Scary..
Do people typically clean heaters on the regular basis? I wonder if it is because I haven't cleaned it in like 9 months but still.

SCRAMBLING TO FIND ANOTHER HEATER! IM AFRAID IF I PUT THIS BACK IN MY TANK THAT IT MIGHT HEAT UP OVERNIGHT AND I WAKE UP TO A FOUL SMELL

Anyone have suggestions on what type of heater would best fit a nano tank?

OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
Tank update:
With the replacement heater from my mangroves, finnex temp control, I was able to keep the tank warm enough to at least stay 74 for the night.

So far no signs of distress from the corals so appreciative to keep only LPS and Softies. if anything, this triggered some type of explosion in growth for my bio. I now see lots of copepods on the glass along with baby snails all over the place.

Worst case scenario, if corals do begin to react negatively to the big swing shift of 84 to 74. Corals will all be transferred into our display 150g.

Ended up moving my WWC OG Momma over to my dad's tank. Reasoning is because the clownfish pair have made it their new home and have been ticking it off popping the bubbles and making it shrink over the past month. The plan is to move the clownfish over to the 25g once everything has settled in and to reunite it with the Tonga Purple Magnifica Anemone.

OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
! NEW BUILD ALERT !
Custom 24 x 24 x 8 Ext! 20 Gal

Upgrade was in the works at least within the next 2 years but grateful to have family in the hobby. 1 man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Looking forward to getting this shallow tank set up! Unexpected but not unwelcome!

The goal is to move livestock in by August 2023 (6 Months of seeding) Rockscape will be a combo of LIVE Tonga, Pukani, Marshall Island branch/ rocks that my family has laying around in the cryptic setup. Existing water & Bio blocks will be taken from my dads display 150g. Definitely will be ready to go within 2-3 months but no rush to set up so at least 6 months for me :)

Attachments

• E1FF15EF-89D1-4736-B275-122391A207F3.jpeg
    E1FF15EF-89D1-4736-B275-122391A207F3.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 72CB24AC-C927-4BBF-A50F-ACE62ED550D8.jpeg
    72CB24AC-C927-4BBF-A50F-ACE62ED550D8.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 25

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back