Same wrasse family issue?

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow coris wrasse and I just bought a mystery wrasse that currently in quarantine .

I just noticed they’re both from the same family. ( lapridae ) Will they kill each other ? Or will I be alright ?? My yellow wrasse has been a model citizen and I heard the mystery wrasse is an asshol*

Red Sea 350 with 70G display

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From past reading (not experience) a mystery wrasse is intolerant of all other wrasses. I only looked into it because I too wanted to add one!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All wrasses are in the same family, Labridae.

The mystery, six line, 4 line, and close cousins are in a group that doesn't like other wrasses.

I wouldn't try it in a 350 liter.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From past reading (not experience) a mystery wrasse is intolerant of all other wrasses. I only looked into it because I too wanted to add one!
Thanks!! Might have to give up my coris wrasse :(

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery wrasse can be mean. Generally intolerant of other wrasse but can be jerks to other fish sometimes.

If you only want one wrasse and don’t have other fish similar shape… they are certainly pretty.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery wrasse can be mean. Generally intolerant of other wrasse but can be jerks to other fish sometimes.

If you only want one wrasse and don’t have other fish similar shape… they are certainly pretty.
There were 3 of them at my LFS and they seem fine together. I’ll get it a shot once it’s done in quarantine. I’m able to catch it if anything happens .

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 1.75”. Nope, model citizen.
Sounds to me like she’s still juvenile. She will eventually combat your word. Exactly like my Jade wrasse is doing, I said she was a model citizen and next thing I knew, she was transitioning and forcing her way up the hierarchy now to be at the top.

As for the OP, I don’t recommend releasing the mystery… she won’t allow any other wrasses in the tank once mature and established. If you really want your wrasse gang, you will need aggressive wrasses to go with them, the yellow “coris” isn’t aggressive and will in most cases be killed. I have had 4 sixlines that are possibly one of the worst for aggression on that side of the labrids, none of them allowed another wrasse in the tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like she’s still juvenile. She will eventually combat your word. Exactly like my Jade wrasse is doing, I said she was a model citizen and next thing I knew, she was transitioning and forcing her way up the hierarchy now to be at the top.
The last one I had was just over 2" and peaceful as well (had it for about a year and a half). It's got a long way and several wrasses to go to achieve that, and the 5" melanarus and 6.5" parrotfish have already claimed the top positions.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As for the OP, I don’t recommend releasing the mystery… she won’t allow any other wrasses in the tank once mature and established. If you really want your wrasse gang, you will need aggressive wrasses to go with them, the yellow “coris” isn’t aggressive and will in most cases be killed. I have had 4 sixlines that are possibly one of the worst for aggression on that side of the labrids, none of them allowed another wrasse in the tank.
My coris wrasse is about 2x the size? It can also bury itself when in danger . Will a stress fish cause sickness if all fish is fully quarantine?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coris wrasse is about 2x the size? It can also bury itself when in danger . Will a stress fish cause sickness if all fish is fully quarantine?

yes they can not feed well or get bacterial infections

they were likely okay at LFS because they are perhaps juvies or because the LFS is stressful and not natural place to be. Fish do not display normal behavior there.

There are always exceptions but generally Pseudocheilinus should not be mixed with other wrasse. These fish get territorial as they mature.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they can not feed well or get bacterial infections

they were likely okay at LFS because they are perhaps juvies or because the LFS is stressful and not natural place to be. Fish do not display normal behavior there.

There are always exceptions but generally Pseudocheilinus should not be mixed with other wrasse. These fish get territorial as they mature.
Thank you! I would need to re-home my beautiful yellow wrasse :(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back