Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
T
Woke up today and checked the Wyze camera…. To my dismay heard the alarm going off… checked fusion and found my temperature was around 74 and dropping.
quickly called my cat/fish sitter who was able to get over to my house and plug in a backup heater. Temp is climbing now so everything seems to be on the up and up.
Temp leveled off and hopefully crisis avoided!

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks OpenAI:

Verse 1: In my 120-gallon tank A world of color and life An emperor angelfish With majestic fins and bright eyes

Verse 2: Two blue hippo tangs Swim gracefully through the water Their vibrant scales shining As they dart and flutter

Verse 3: A 6-line wrasse Hides amongst the coral and plants Its slender body and stripes A sight to behold and dance

Verse 4: An algae blenny Nimbly hops from rock to rock Scavenging for bits to eat A curious and playful stock

Verse 5: Two clown fish In their anemone home Their orange and white stripes A sight of beauty to roam

Verse 6: A bi-color angelfish With a mix of blue and black Swimming amongst the others Its beauty a true attack

Verse 7: A yellow angelfish Bright and bold, a true delight Its fins and tail flowing As it swims through the light

Verse 8: Two yellow clown gobies Peeking out from their hideaway Their small bodies and fins A playful sight to sway

Verse 9: My aquarium is a paradise Filled with beauty and life Each fish unique and special A true joy and delight

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Merry Christmas all!

1671934961715.png

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey @Projects with Sam ... Looking at this one:

Not a lot of reviews on Amazon but most are good reviews. I like the little bit larger print.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And I'ma drop this here....

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey @Projects with Sam ... Looking at this one:

Not a lot of reviews on Amazon but most are good reviews. I like the little bit larger print.
Not bad! It has a lot of modern features but at $300 it’s pretty expensive When comparing it to smaller build volume printers. At 300x300 it compares more to CR-10 so the price is actually pretty decent.
though I went to find a comparison and found this:

which in my opinion is a better deal because reality is actually starting todo quality control and customer service things.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not bad! It has a lot of modern features but at $300 it’s pretty expensive When comparing it to smaller build volume printers. At 300x300 it compares more to CR-10 so the price is actually pretty decent.
though I went to find a comparison and found this:

which in my opinion is a better deal because reality is actually starting todo quality control and customer service things.
I actually saw this yesterday and it's on sale right now. Just have to submit some curriculum to get the purchase approved.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
there is also always an option to get refurbished ender 3s for $130/ea from the enderextender store. though that cr-10 is sweet.
I want the larger bed if I can. I told my wife I'm thinking about a $500 budget for one so either than Longer LK5 or the CR10 while it's on sale. Right now she's focused on horse riding lessons for the kids and getting their helmet and boots reimbursed.

Blackwidow3Dreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while on vacation, the neighborhood babysitter I had coming over to feed the cat and change the litter box... etc... was also minimally taking care of my tank. She called and said the bucket I had her dumping daily for the skimmer was filling up too fast and had overflowed...
I had her pull the skimmer plug because I still need to figure out how to get it to keep its setting. (Cadlights PLS-120)
She didn't tell me the severity of the overflow... (probably a lot of my 25Gallon ATO reservoir - 33Gallon Brute can)
Anyway - she cleaned it up but didn't mention the return pump was making a lot of noise gasping for water. (may have been from evaporation after she left for the day).

I got back to a tank with lots of Algae from super low flow, cloudy water from lack of filtration/flow and uber low salinity from 25+ gallons of ATO water being dumped into the tank to replace what the overactive skimmer dumped onto my floor... *sadface*

Nonetheless, I slowly brought up salinity and really easily blew-off the rocks with a few wet swishes. I changed my filter-floss and added some stuffing to polish. All the fish made it and looked great. The super low return flow (600-800GPH), 1/4-1/3 through the 24W UV kept everyone ich free... Polyp-lab medic will be delivered today. I'm going to start QT on a lawnmower blenny I've had my eye on at Petco for 3++ Months.

IMG_9136.JPEG IMG_9138.JPEG IMG_9140.JPEG IMG_9142.JPEG IMG_9143.JPEG IMG_9144.JPEG IMG_9145.JPEG IMG_9174.JPEG

I got a new Wavemaker from Amazon because I had a gift card. I have been very happy with my JEREPET SND-7000 return pump and I saw a discount on the "JEREPET 3400GPH Aquarium Wave Maker DC 24V Powerhead with Magnetic Mounting Wavemaker with Controller and LED Display Circulation Pump for 40-100 Gallon Tank (3400GPH)" (They need a better name...)
I got it and am also equally impressed. It is absolutely silent. Aside from the controller being rubbish, I am happy enough to make a safety guard for it (its pressure-fit onto the pump). I'll sell them cheap on my eBay for anyone else who wants one. If anyone wants to trade coral for one I am open to offers!
IMG_9139.JPEG IMG_9175.JPEG IMG_9177.JPEG IMG_9181.JPEG IMG_9183.JPEG

And I quickly redid the mesh top for the left side of the tank.
IMG_9200.JPEG
Would it be possible to buy the file for the 3d print? I wouldn’t sell it I just have my own printer and we didn’t realized how powerful that wave maker is. Already took one of my fish out.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Blackwidow3Dreefing welcome to reef2reef! I’m honored that was your first post! I’m sorry, I don’t want to give out my models. I did similar for some rc truck parts I designed and got burnt in the end.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So my fish sitter saved the day again! A few days ago I randomly decided to look at the Wyze and noticed the power to the tank was off. My apex was off too! Luckily the heater was on a different circuit so the tank was at temp. I don’t know how long it was out for but I texted my sitter and she went over with a friend. I still have no idea why the circuit to the tank is down but I had her switch it all over to an extension cord and it’s been running strong since.
I see fish swimming in the Wyze so don’t think I’ll be coming home to disaster this evening. The ATO doesn’t seem to be on after the power issue and everything is getting a bubble scrub but its all on…
thank goodness!

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my fish sitter saved the day again! A few days ago I randomly decided to look at the Wyze and noticed the power to the tank was off. My apex was off too! Luckily the heater was on a different circuit so the tank was at temp. I don’t know how long it was out for but I texted my sitter and she went over with a friend. I still have no idea why the circuit to the tank is down but I had her switch it all over to an extension cord and it’s been running strong since.
I see fish swimming in the Wyze so don’t think I’ll be coming home to disaster this evening. The ATO doesn’t seem to be on after the power issue and everything is getting a bubble scrub but its all on…
thank goodness!
See, this is why it pays to have a competent fish-sitter, and why it pays to have redundancy.

Everything bad will always happen while you are on vacation!!!

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
thank goodness!
When I was out for my grandma's funeral my in-laws were checking in the animals for me. I called to check in one day and she says it's weird but she hasn't had to add water to the ATO yet (July, Phoenix, hot, 5 days) but my father-in-law says it's working good because of all the bubbles.....

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got in 5 hours late because we were rerouted to Kansas City due to a low ceiling and fog... So didn't get to bed till way late.

Tank looks decent all things considered. It needed a serious scrape with a razor (HoToolMe) to get all the algae off; the Tunze wasn't cutting it...
IMG_2797.JPEG IMG_2798(1).JPEG IMG_2799(1).JPEG
Major issues while I was away:
The 1st heater incident was not a failure but rather the heater plug was loose(1/2 in) in the Inkbird socket so it stopped working.
The power outage to the tank was from the GFCI tripping due to my Refugium light taking one last swim.
IMG_2795(1).JPEG
I had removed my skimmer collection cup plug and attached a small hose for drainage back into the sump; that got clogged so the skimmer was overflowing.
My Auto Filter Roller used a ton of fleece because I didn't have the float cut-off switch low enough in the sump. (I'll be rerolling as much of the wasted fleece as I can.
IMG_2796(1).JPEG IMG_2794(2).JPEG IMG_2801(1).JPEG

I had some time today to address the issues and do some upgrades.

I pulled my CO2 scrubber (BRS style) out in-favor of my printed one. It was just clutter.
Pushed my ATO further behind the sump and redid some of the wire management.
Removed my old and installed my new Kalkwasser stirrer.
IMG_2800(1).JPEG IMG_2802.JPEG

Presently working on some new products people have asked for while I wait for some orders to print.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled my CO2 scrubber (BRS style) out in-favor of my printed one. It was just clutter.

This is just a good idea for everyone...

I have a parlaquatics scrubber/recirculator on my skimmer.

PH is something I don't worry about much anymore.

I still check it, but I don't have to worry about it.

Solenoid is connected to my Hydros and opens when PH is above 8.35

Closes again when PH is below 8.2

1672902556571.png

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For the longest time I lamented loosing all the space in my tank to the two giant weirs in the back corners of my tank until I thought of the little trick of putting air stones at the bottom. Now they're both serious air-exchange locations. I should put the air-pump in the attic to get fresher air.
IMG_2804(1).JPEG
The Phyto I setup before I went on vacation all grew out and now I have a ton! 3 more gallons in-process.
IMG_2813(1).JPEG
Redid my fuge light with another cheapo Amazon fixture... This is a better setup then my prior one.
Thanks again to extruded PVC ceiling tiles, craft knife, and CA glue...
Feel like @MarlingBaits 'CrazyGlueAndBakingSoda'
IMG_2809(1).JPEG IMG_2812.JPEG
IMG_2811(1).JPEG

Last edited:

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome print on the fuge light good work bro keep it up let me know when you get time about the rfg for 3/4in locline would love to talk price

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Awesome print on the fuge light good work bro keep it up let me know when you get time about the rfg for 3/4in locline would love to talk price
The thing is, I havent designed one yet and I havent figured out a good stance on printing other people's designs.
I could print one from Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/cleven/designs are some that spring to mind.
Although, now that I see those models, I think I've already worked with this designer and can figure something out.
I havent researched those nozzles so don't know how much flow they need to work.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back