Sand and old shells

Ireland.Escada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a blenny to try and help with some algae Issues and I am wondering if the sand has too much shell/rocks for the blenny.

last week I took about about 1/4 of the old sand but I did not shift through the old shells and rocks. Should I do something for the bottom of the tank?

6B527F4E-AA9A-4B6D-A311-164B8343B1A2.jpeg 4EA105FC-556A-4BAF-B51F-6A5C86BA76CB.jpeg

SaltySam09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of those coral/rock grains look a bit too big to me. I personally would be worried that they might harm the fish as he sifts it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume a lawnmower Benny. But last week I also tried to purchase a lawnmower and ended up with a different fish. I think a golby. And that fellow is MIA. I assume dead.
If it's a lawnmower blenny he's going to spend most of the time on the rocks looking for algae to much on, in which case you really don't need to worry about the substrate (at least for this type of fish).

OP
OP
Ireland.Escada

Ireland.Escada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of those coral/rock grains look a bit too big to me. I personally would be worried that they might harm the fish as he sifts it.
That’s what I am stating to think. Any advise on how to remove them or just start picking them up one by one? I have been having a pickle of a time with phosphate and nitrates.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back