Sand and old shells

Ireland.Escada

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2022
Messages
102
Reaction score
69
Location
Rifle
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a blenny to try and help with some algae Issues and I am wondering if the sand has too much shell/rocks for the blenny.

last week I took about about 1/4 of the old sand but I did not shift through the old shells and rocks. Should I do something for the bottom of the tank?

6B527F4E-AA9A-4B6D-A311-164B8343B1A2.jpeg 4EA105FC-556A-4BAF-B51F-6A5C86BA76CB.jpeg
 
The size of those coral/rock grains look a bit too big to me. I personally would be worried that they might harm the fish as he sifts it.
 
I assume a lawnmower Benny. But last week I also tried to purchase a lawnmower and ended up with a different fish. I think a golby. And that fellow is MIA. I assume dead.
If it's a lawnmower blenny he's going to spend most of the time on the rocks looking for algae to much on, in which case you really don't need to worry about the substrate (at least for this type of fish).
 
The size of those coral/rock grains look a bit too big to me. I personally would be worried that they might harm the fish as he sifts it.
That’s what I am stating to think. Any advise on how to remove them or just start picking them up one by one? I have been having a pickle of a time with phosphate and nitrates.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new