Sand bed problems. Could use some insight.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
21
Location
murfreesboro
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have been having diatom problems but the are going away slowly but today I noticed my sand bed and lower rock is turning gray and black. I know this isn't good. My sand bed is only 2 inches deep what would y'all suggest I do.
 
Vacuum it during water changes. Don't stir it up too much but vacuum with a siphon hose. I was always told not to vacuum the sanded but after a couple of years I did it anyway and the funk that came out was unreal. Tank is much healthier now.
 
That is how I got rid of my diatom problem. So I guess I need to keep doing it them .
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new