Sand Bed Problems.

  • Thread starter Thread starter 2Barrel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

2Barrel

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 25, 2023
Messages
12
Reaction score
57
Location
S. Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.
Yesterday I was doing some tank maintenance and noticed some rock hard chunks in my sand bed.
What could be causing it ?
Precipitation??
Tank is 50 Gal. total volume.
I'm dosing BRS soda ash @ 53ml. per day.
BRS Calcium @ 50 ml. per day.
BRS Magnesium @ 11 ml per day.

DHK 8.0 " HANNA"
Cal. 425 "Red Sea Pro"
Magnesium. 1350 "Salifert"
P.H. 8.3 "Red Sea"

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Precipitate for sure. I switched to all for reef and don’t have that problem anymore.
Good luck
 
Photos?
 
High pH and high alk, and low phosphate and low organics and low magnesium all promote precipitation, with the first two and new sand being the biggest risk factors.

How old is the tank/sand?
 
Tank actually just turned 1 year old.
Phos. 0.06 "Hanna"
Nitrate 7.2 " Hanna"
 
It's possible Randy.
Sand is normal on top.
Real crusty on the bottom. I can break up the chunks with my bare hand.
Could this just be compaction?
Sand used is Carib Sea Special Grade.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new