Sand bed smells

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 55 gal w/future 29 gal sump. I am going through the diatoms stage and am having another kind of algae that is brown/black and stringy. Also, my sand smells. I guess u can possibly describe the smell as a low tide smell but a lot stronger. I haven’t recently tested water but I should be going to the pet store tmr.

Here are some pics of the sandbed.

Any ideas what could be causing the smell?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't you post this already today/tonight asking if it was dinos or diatoms ....you can try siphoning as much out as possible with a small WC...its probably dinos ...taking a small sample too lfs with a microscope to ID would be a big help ...you can use your phone camera too take photos post on here for a positive ID ..if its dinos you'll want too know which sort it is ....if you haven't already got your own test kits ...I'd advise you too get some at least for po4 and no3 ...

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't you post this already today/tonight asking if it was dinos or diatoms ....you can try siphoning as much out as possible with a small WC...its probably dinos ...taking a small sample too lfs with a microscope to ID would be a big help ...you can use your phone camera too take photos post on here for a positive ID ..if its dinos you'll want too know which sort it is ....if you haven't already got your own test kits ...I'd advise you too get some at least for po4 and no3 ...
Yes I did post this earlier, didn’t seem to get too many replies.

I did siphon the sand earlier and looks good for now. The sand will probably be covered again in a few days. Also, do u know if Dino smells?
image.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back