Sand bed- to transfer or not to transfer

To transfer or not to transfer (shallow sand bed)

  • Yes, transfer the current shallow sand bed and add an equivalent (or more) amount of new live sand.

    Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No, use 100% all new live sand

    Votes: 13 61.9%

  • Total voters
    21
I've nearly lost an entire system from trying to reuse the same sand. I'll never go through that again from a personal experience. I'd replace 100%
 
I'd wait a few days to save $200. Mighty nice of them.

i have to wait another month lol, hopefully a little less.. I already waited about 60 days prior. Its from a company who manufactures a specific lineup of tanks, mine was custom so I had to originally wait until they could reset their machines to cut my glass and build my furniture. But to save another $200 I can be a little more patient.



And I think I will be using 100% new, may stir and clean some of the old stuff and use it when I set up my frag tank since that needs to cycle anyways
 
I had a tank break, transferred everything including sand and had my system crash losing most things. Go with new sand, not worth taking a chance.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new