Sand & Clams

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probably should be a given, but due to my OCD, i need to know whether i should let it take care of itself or intervene.

I have several clams on clam hammocks in my tank. I also have a pair of two spot gobies that love to sift the sand and it occasionally gets on the clam's mantle. Should i just leave it be or try to get the grains of sand off from the mantle?

Funny because this probably happens in the ocean very often too. Thoughts?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely keep the sand away from the clams with the goby's doing their thing. Hate seeing a clam being tortured by a grain of sand stuck between the outer mantle and shell.

4n2xtacy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a baby maxima, and he seem to be thriving pretty well. But my Goby always does the same thing however just to be safe, I take off the sand dust immediately. I think it's safer.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a baby maxima, and he seem to be thriving pretty well. But my Goby always does the same thing however just to be safe, I take off the sand dust immediately. I think it's safer.
It definitely is. Once sand gets in the actual valve of the clam it can be detrimental.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I have the problem is if one of my sand sleeping wrasses gets a little rambunctious at bed time. I just take a turkey baster and gently blow the sand off. The clam retracts a little but only if I move too much water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back