Sand & Clams

YellowFinsReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2017
Messages
197
Reaction score
188
Location
Minnesota
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probably should be a given, but due to my OCD, i need to know whether i should let it take care of itself or intervene.

I have several clams on clam hammocks in my tank. I also have a pair of two spot gobies that love to sift the sand and it occasionally gets on the clam's mantle. Should i just leave it be or try to get the grains of sand off from the mantle?

Funny because this probably happens in the ocean very often too. Thoughts?
 
I would definitely keep the sand away from the clams with the goby's doing their thing. Hate seeing a clam being tortured by a grain of sand stuck between the outer mantle and shell.
 
Yeah I have a baby maxima, and he seem to be thriving pretty well. But my Goby always does the same thing however just to be safe, I take off the sand dust immediately. I think it's safer.
 
Yeah I have a baby maxima, and he seem to be thriving pretty well. But my Goby always does the same thing however just to be safe, I take off the sand dust immediately. I think it's safer.
It definitely is. Once sand gets in the actual valve of the clam it can be detrimental.
 
The only time I have the problem is if one of my sand sleeping wrasses gets a little rambunctious at bed time. I just take a turkey baster and gently blow the sand off. The clam retracts a little but only if I move too much water.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new