Sand quarantine

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I had bought 40 lbs of live sand for my tank and had it with my fish that I had shipped from a lfs when I moved. My fish had been previously quarantined against ick but I didn't think they were kept in their own system at the lfs so I re-quarantined against ick, flukes and velvet. In order to keep my 65 gallon clean, I also quarantined everything else. The rocks were already quarantined and I added a little bit of new sand to my 65g. But in order to keep any possibility of ick out of my tank, I put all the extra sand into a 5 gallon bucket. The question now is, should I rinse it out or not? It's been sitting for 76 days in a bucket on the floor so I don't want to add a ton of extra nutrients into my main tank but at the same time, it (was) live sand and has had some water in it the whole time. Thoughts on this?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rinse it with fresh water until it runs clear, like the Sand Rinse Thread describes.

I would not worry about pests but nutrients in the sand at this point. If you dump in nutrient sand algae blooms and loss of O2 could ruin/kill your tank, possibly. Rinse and don’t risk it.

Read here for more information

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rinse it with fresh water until it runs clear, like the Sand Rinse Thread describes.

I would not worry about pests but nutrients in the sand at this point. If you dump in nutrient sand algae blooms and loss of O2 could ruin/kill your tank, possibly. Rinse and don’t risk it.

Read here for more information
Thank you for the info and linking me to that thread! I was searching for a thread like that but was (obviously) unsuccessful. Thanks again!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info and linking me to that thread! I was searching for a thread like that but was (obviously) unsuccessful. Thanks again!
I have to search for it every time I share it. Often I can’t find what I need when I use the search on here? Glad to help! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back