Sand question

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two years ago we broke down our 125. My husband put the sand into a couple of buckets and it’s been sitting ever since. We are about to upgrade our 40B to a 110 tank with a 40B sump and wondering if it would be safe to use the sand? I want to buy new sand but husband not convinced we can’t use the old dried sand. What day you?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can use it if it’s dried completely but honestly I’d just buy new sand. It’s not that expensive plus at this point it’s completely dried/dead sand and sand that’s alive is a lot better for cycling and has more benefits.

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to rinse it really well. Which you would need to do with new dry sand anyway.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two years ago we broke down our 125. My husband put the sand into a couple of buckets and it’s been sitting ever since. We are about to upgrade our 40B to a 110 tank with a 40B sump and wondering if it would be safe to use the sand? I want to buy new sand but husband not convinced we can’t use the old dried sand. What day you?
Sand is cheap and there is absolutely no be efit in reusing it.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have it sitting around, why not use it? Saves about $100 for a fish. Plus you don't have the sand still lying around. Rinse in fresh water until it rinses clear. It took 50+ rinses when I did some a while back, that was new bagged sand.

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had buckets of sand. I would rinse it with RO water until clear and use it. Everything from the 40b is going into the 110? You already have bacteria in there so the extra bacteria from the sand wont matter too much. Use it and save the money, espically depending on many inches you want your substrate to be, this can save you a good penny for an extra powerhead needed for flow in the 110.

Just my 2 cents.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is doing the filtration. No need to throw out the sand as others have mentioned as long as it was rinsed or drained well before storing the first time. You don't want to add a phosphate sink to your new tank. After rinsing this well add saltwater and let sit a day or two and check PO4.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends if you want to put the effort or not, personally I would go for new sand cause its easier. But sounds like your husband wants to wash the sand, why not let him win this one?

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had buckets of sand. I would rinse it with RO water until clear and use it. Everything from the 40b is going into the 110? You already have bacteria in there so the extra bacteria from the sand wont matter too much. Use it and save the money, espically depending on many inches you want your substrate to be, this can save you a good penny for an extra powerhead needed for flow in the 110.

Just my 2 cents.
Yes, rocks plus new rocks I’ve been cycling for about three months, corals and fish. New larger pumps and new sump and equipment but living things all moving over. Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer! Been busy and this is the first chance I’ve had to get back on here. Sand is t cheap to me. $2 per pound. I’d rather use that on my new fleece roller

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, rocks plus new rocks I’ve been cycling for about three months, corals and fish. New larger pumps and new sump and equipment but living things all moving over. Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer! Been busy and this is the first chance I’ve had to get back on here. Sand is t cheap to me. $2 per pound. I’d rather use that on my new fleece roller
I like your signature!! I want mine to be my zen place too. Happy Reefing!!

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back