Sand questions

ImGoingCoastal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was about to boot up my 40B and opened my box of Marco Rocks "fine" sand from aqua lab aquariums (never ordered from them before). This stuff is not fine at all and has me debating on whether or not to use it. Though, a coarser sand might be a good option to prevent sand storms...

My question is, does anyone have it in their tank, do you have a picture?

If not Marco, what should I use in a mixed reef that might even be a little SPS dominant tank?

I have an affinity for sand sifters so going bare bottom isn't something I want to do.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have it, but looks like a good medium aragonite grain sand. Wouldn't call that Fine in the picture. Fine sand can blow around so I stick with medium grade. It is about how it looks to you though. I would suggest surfing around a bit on both medium and course sand tanks...see if it grows on you.

To be honest...it's how clean sand is that catches my eye over grain size.

OP
OP
ImGoingCoastal

ImGoingCoastal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the thing that I usually hate is how the large grains tend to settle on the top in patches.... That's what makes me nervous. I guess since I already spent the money I could give it a try....

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I set my tank up 5 weeks ago I bought 40kg of redsea live reefbase ocean white fine sand, it was shipped from the Bahamas with sea water in it. It looked really nice, but 1 pump on 50% and it blew everywhere, couldn’t turn anymore pumps on, looked Awesome with its natural movement but it covered the rocks and silted the water if I so much as looked at it..
I ended up having to siphon it out and that was a nightmare.
so if you need good flow go larger grain size or none at all.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I'd known. I have Caribsea and it's great but a little too uniform for my taste. I like the look of varying grain sizes.

Just shows we all have different tastes...and that shopping for sand online isn't easy. ;)

OP
OP
ImGoingCoastal

ImGoingCoastal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had told me when I was younger that I'd be buying sand and rock online for $3-4 a pound I would laughed.

My neighbor was going to be kind and take my box of rock out of the rain, she said "surely that wasn't what it really was".... She looked at me like I had 2 heads when I explained to her. "Oh yeah, that literally was a 40 lbs box of rocks".

OP
OP
ImGoingCoastal

ImGoingCoastal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note, put the sand in the tank, it looks a lot better than I was thinking it would. I'll post some pictures later if I remember.

OP
OP
ImGoingCoastal

ImGoingCoastal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, totally forgot! Here are some.

Not 100% sure I'm a fan but again, it's not as bad as I thought when I opened the box.

20200226_221926.jpg 20200226_221908.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back