Sand Sifting Gobies

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 125 gallon tank that is 2+ years old at this point. No we don't have lids - we've had too many issues with the lids and prefer the open top - we do have a hood. We have been through 2 Diamond Sand Sifting Gobies in the last 2 week. 1st one the doors were off the hood due to tank emergency and prepping for major water change - found the goby 6' away from the tank all dried up. 2nd one was doing great - actually sharing a cave with our Wide Barred Shrimp Goby. We got up Sunday morning and the Diamond was swimming in circles kind of jerking and not acting at all normal. As I watched further it appears that it tried jumping and probably hit the hood and broke it's spine. The back was bent into a C shape and we could tell it was suffering so we did the right thing and put it out of it's misery. Is there any sand sifting gobies that are less prone to jumping? Inverts that sift, besides snails, are not an option as we have a pair of Melanurus wrasses who make quick work of any additions such as shrimp. We have nassurius snails and conchs but need something additional. We also have the emerald crabs. Hermit crabs can only live in the sump as the Mels will pull them out of their shells. NO getting rid of the Mels is not an option. On a side note, the Wide Barred Goby is very sullen and won't come out of his cave since the death of his buddy. We had a pistol shrimp paired with him before but the Mels took care of that and the Wide Barred Goby didn't leave the area where the cave was that the shrimp had built until we got the Diamond Goby.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gobies are jumpers. I also dont like lids, I only put a lid on at night before I go to bed, and take it off in the morning. No more jumping fish. Unfortunately without a lid, at least at night, you eleminate a lot of potential fish that you could have

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two spots are great (maybe too great) at moving sand.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost a diamond same way. I've switched over to blennies. Havent had one yet off themself.

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fairly lucky. My goby hasn’t had any issues. Have had a Diamond Goby in the tank for 16 months now no issues. He likes to swim close to the top but never try’s to go beyond that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back