Sand Sifting Goby Quarantine?

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

About to start stocking a new 210. Was thinking a sand sifting goby would be good for one of the first residents because they can be shy and get picked on when added later. When it comes to quarantine are they OK w/o sand?

Thanks in advance.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some like or need the sand, and some don't. Last time I put one through QT, I put a dish of sand in there and the goby never used it. It preferred hanging out in the plastic plant in the QT. Toss the sand about once a week to keep things fresh.

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt’d mine for 8 weeks barebottom no prob, I qt all my wrasses bare bottom as well with zero issues. Now a week later after adding my sand sifting goby I’m trying to catch and give him away as he all he does is create a massive and storm in my DT. Slowly converting to bare bottom in my DT so who knows maybe I’ll keep him.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt’d mine for 8 weeks barebottom no prob, I qt all my wrasses bare bottom as well with zero issues. Now a week later after adding my sand sifting goby I’m trying to catch and give him away as he all he does is create a massive and storm in my DT. Slowly converting to bare bottom in my DT so who knows maybe I’ll keep him.
What kind of goby is it? Trying to decide between the yellow or the orange diamond.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the entire quarantine process incredibly stressful for fish. They get chased, caught, bagged, and transported all just before going into QT. Very stressful. That being said, I QT anyway. Risks v rewards bla bla. So I try to minimize the stress as much as possible. Encouraging and allowing natural behaviours where possible is, in my opinion, hugely beneficial. So, Tupperware w substrate is a game changer. If they like to hide, add a little pvc pipe ON the substrate so the can burrow too. If you’re treating in qt (which I do), I’d go as far as adding substrate once medications are done.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of goby is it? Trying to decide between the yellow or the orange diamond.

There’s a huge difference here... the yellow are actually a “watchman” goby, and while they will sift sand a bit they aren’t a true sand-sifter like the diamond goby.

I’ve never had any issues with the watchman gobies, but I was just reading a member’s journal where his diamond was burying entire LPS corals with mountains of sand because they were on “his” sandbed and he found them offensive lol

Last edited:

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange diamond and yes I use pvc pieces for them to hide and other fake decorations that are hollow for them to hide

B665982A-66F8-4845-9899-CE58D53B4188.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back