Sand Sifting Goby

D

Dr Pepper

View Badges
Hello,

Would you guys say my goby is healthy? I’ve never seen him look unhealthy, but i’ve seen lots of stuff about people not being able to keep them. Kinda got me worried. Just need some professional opinion, don’t want to be starving him. Looks like a chunky boy to me.
I don't think gobies like sand. They like the bigger pieces of sand/rock. I'm just saying I had a watchman goby and he never picked up sand through his body or w.e they do.

D

Dr Pepper

View Badges
I don't think gobies like sand. They like the bigger pieces of sand/rock. I'm just saying I had a watchman goby and he never picked up sand through his body or w.e they do but if yours is eating through the sand. I'd say he's good.

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to speed things up dose pods for a few weeks after lights off.
I've got some on order, I've found buying pods from ebay to be 10x cheaper than an actual store. I think 500ml from reef phyto is £40.00, I've got 400ml on order from ebay for £10.00 the seller has 5star reviews as well. Lots of them!

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think gobies like sand. They like the bigger pieces of sand/rock. I'm just saying I had a watchman goby and he never picked up sand through his body or w.e they do.
Yeah from lights on to lights off, he's just sifting mouth fulls of sand, beside the odd 5 minute break (probably from over indulgence) he seems happy

maccyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here thinking about it, it was almost the 12 month mark before I noticed critters, I hadn't dosed anything into my old tank and you have a mandarin as well? How do they get along? I really want a dragonette. Hence the urge to get this tank established.
Yeah they get along fine. In fairness the Dragonet ignores the other fish and they ignore him! Stunning fish and definitely my favourite in the tank.

He just glides around picking at the rocks for copepods etc and he's really relaxing to watch- covers the entire tank and is happy to come to the front quite often so he isn't shy or skittish.

Tempted to have a pair but I think I'm at capacity with my other fish in the tank.

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they get along fine. In fairness the Dragonet ignores the other fish and they ignore him! Stunning fish and definitely my favourite in the tank.

He just glides around picking at the rocks for copepods etc and he's really relaxing to watch- covers the entire tank and is happy to come to the front quite often so he isn't shy or skittish.

Tempted to have a pair but I think I'm at capacity with my other fish in the tank.
What size tank do you have? and I would love a dragonet. Does yours eat prepared foods?

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sorry you said 24" cube

maccyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? and I would love a dragonet. Does yours eat prepared foods?
Nope - you might be hard pressed to find one that eats prepared or frozen foods. I've seen videos online of people training mandarins to eat frozen or prepared foods but I just dump 2 bags of copepods per week into my tank and hes happy and healthy. Costs me £4 per week to feed him which I'm happy with tbh.

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope - you might be hard pressed to find one that eats prepared or frozen foods. I've seen videos online of people training mandarins to eat frozen or prepared foods but I just dump 2 bags of copepods per week into my tank and hes happy and healthy. Costs me £4 per week to feed him which I'm happy with
Do you dose them directly into the tank or into your sump / all in one chamber?

maccyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose them directly into the tank or into your sump / all in one chamber?
Into the tank directly after lights out to make it easier for the copepods to make their into the tank and liverock before getting eaten by the other inhabitants.

I've thought about adding them to the sump but they would either get sucked into the skimmer or just fly up return pump back into display anyway so I figured it was easier just to add directly to the tank.

I might have built up a sustainable pod population in the tank by now but I keep adding them twice weekly as in theory my tank isn't large enough to support a sustained pod population and i don't run a refugium in my sump either.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back