OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your snails will do okay. Of course various nails might have different needs so you'll have to get to the nitty gritty on that
Yea that’s my biggest thing. I know the other snails will be fine, but I want to ensure the burrowing ones can burrow, as my biggest problem with my sand rn is not enough turnover and disturbance, which I want to avoid. Algae is growing on it, partly a nutrient issue, but also poor flow bc it’s quite fine, and limited CUC

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s my biggest thing. I know the other snails will be fine, but I want to ensure the burrowing ones can burrow, as my biggest problem with my sand rn is not enough turnover and disturbance, which I want to avoid. Algae is growing on it, partly a nutrient issue, but also poor flow bc it’s quite fine, and limited CUC
Vacuum your sand regularly

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what the particle size is you have to vacuum sand

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a sand bed is a great benefit but only if you maintain it. That means vacuuming it when you do water changes

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a sand bed is a great benefit but only if you maintain it. That means vacuuming it when you do water changes
Yeah exactly. I fell into a trap of tank neglect following exams at university and a new job, but I’m taking steps to avoid that this time around

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you see sandless tanks or empty bottom tanks. It is a experienced keeper that does that. It's normally not recommended for beginners. It takes much longer to mature tank if you don't already have cured Rock live rock etc

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you see sandless tanks or empty bottom tanks. It is a experienced keeper that does that. It's normally not recommended for beginners. It takes much longer to mature tank if you don't already have cured Rock live rock etc
I also don’t like sandless tanks. I like the more natural look it gives

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah starting a tank with a sandless bed on dry rock is a challenge and it's a long process

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah starting a tank with a sandless bed on dry rock is a challenge and it's a long process
I agree that the natural aesthetic is more appealing. I plan on setting up a tank with live sand from the beach.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it takes as much upkeep as everyone thinks. But I do believe it requires vacuuming during water changes.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do not have waves crushing down on our tanks each day we don't have the water flow that the ocean has.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oftentimes the sand shifting happens outside of the reef so all of the biological activity is happening even though it's not right there on the reef

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to replicate that in a small system

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oftentimes the sand shifting happens outside of the reef so all of the biological activity is happening even though it's not right there on the reef
Yeah exactly. I’m wondering what the risk of contaminants are with collecting live sand

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially the ocean is a huge sand filter. And isolated portions developed into reefs

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to collect sand and cycle the tank in a fashion that parasites die off and then stock the tank

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially what I would do is collect my sand and fill the tank with water and Rock and then circulate water for about 6 weeks. After that time parasites will be eliminated. Then I can start to add fish and livestock. However those fish must be quarantined or purchased from aquaculture facilities

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of this will occur with the lights off Then I would start turning off the lights after I was certain that the biological portion was stable and perimeters blah blah blah

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back