Sand size for various substrate critters

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
I’m currently about to redo my tank, and was given a bag of sand for free of 2-4mm crushed coral and sand mix. It’s all cleaned, never been used, and since it’s free I wanna use it. But I plan on keep snails that love substrate, as well as other critters, like nassarius/zombie snails, conch snails, maybe an urchin or sand sifting star, as well as some rock flower anemones.

is this sand size too coarse for them? Or should I opt for something smaller and finer? Pic attached for general reference

E728809D-57D6-4A41-88F0-9F3D18244110.jpeg 9B7C5244-7470-41BF-82FA-77332C8A1B89.jpeg

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that will be just fine. Just my humble opinion we'll see what everyone else thinks.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that 2 mm would be preferable however up to 4 mm should be okay I think. Some people speculate detritus is more of an issue with larger sand granules. But regarding the animals you want to keep you need to rely on more experience people than I.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that will be just fine. Just my humble opinion we'll see what everyone else thinks.
Yeah hoping to get a few replies so I can get a good feel for what’s best, want to make sure I care for everything adequately

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that 2 mm would be preferable however up to 4 mm should be okay I think. Some people speculate detritus is more of an issue with larger sand granules. But regarding the animals you want to keep you need to rely on more experience people than I.
The detritus build up is a worry, but with that size I should be able to siphon, and will only be an 1.5 inch deep sandbed anyways

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having said that, many people had success in the past
The detritus build up is a worry, but with that size I should be able to siphon, and will only be an 1.5 inch deep sandbed anyways
I'm not really sure how much of a worry it really is. This is just based off of information I have read. I think it really depends on the creatures you intend to keep. And depth of the sand bed I know you illustrated that already. And how willing you are to clean it.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not really sure how much of a worry it really is. This is just based off of information I have read. I think it really depends on the creatures you intend to keep. And depth of the sand bed I know you illustrated that already. And how willing you are to clean it.
It could also depend on the flow of the tank you desire depending on the types of corals you want to keep. The finer the sand is the more it gets stirred up so if you want LPS then this might be a problem. That's why I usually a medium grain sand is recommended

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I quite like the idea of manual siphoning and cleaning, helps me feel more “involved” with the tank, manual management never bothers me, I just try lessen it where it’s unnecessary. I just want to make sure the snails can comfortably burrow

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also depend on the flow of the tank you desire depending on the types of corals you want to keep. The finer the sand is the more it gets stirred up so if you want LPS then this might be a problem. That's why I usually a medium grain sand is recommended
It’s going to be mainly a mix of softies and some LPS, with a focus on ricordea gardens and rock flower nem gardens

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should note that when I say LPS corals I'm talking about ones that are placed on the sand bed

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going to be mainly a mix of softies and some LPS, with a focus on ricordea gardens and rock flower nem gardens
If you are focused on soft corals and LPS and they're not resting on the sand bed then a finer sand is not a large issue. But when we talk about placing corals on the bottom of the tank in the sand bed that's when find sand becomes a problem or high-flow tanks

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should note that when I say LPS corals I'm talking about ones that are placed on the sand bed
oooh fair. It’ll be maybe a Trachy or two, perhaps a scoly if I have the room
If you are focused on soft corals and LPS and they're not resting on the sand bed then a finer sand is not a large issue. But when we talk about placing corals on the bottom of the tank in the sand bed that's when find sand becomes a problem or high-flow tanks
yeah only a few will be on the sand bed, like the rics for their lighting requirements. The rfas will wander wherever tbf

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So generally an SPS tank requires high flow and you would definitely not want fine sand. If you had a low flow tank for softies you might get away with it as long as you keep your curls on the rocks but keep in mind that sand will be moved around

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it is generally a best idea to avoid fine sand and to go with a medium

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example I'm considering using sand from my local beaches just to starta tank. But considerations are at one beach has very fine sand. And another beach has crushed shell type sands. I'm tempted to go with the crushed shell type sand because it's more versatile I believe

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beach I live next to has very fine sand sugar Sand and that's why I'm opimg for the other

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example I'm considering using sand from my local beaches just to starta tank. But considerations are at one beach has very fine sand. And another beach has crushed shell type sands. I'm tempted to go with the crushed shell type sand because it's more versatile I believe
Yeah all good points tbf. So I’m thinking 2-4mm should be good then, will allow good flow, looks nice, and hopefully the snails can burrow well

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah all good points tbf. So I’m thinking 2-4mm should be good then, will allow good flow, looks nice, and hopefully the snails can burrow well
Personally I think you'll be okay.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your snails will do okay. Of course various nails might have different needs so you'll have to get to the nitty gritty on that

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back