Sand turning pink after fishless cycle

Cassy621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Had to do a fast cycle been 6 weeks and still fighting nitrite and now I can see the sand turning pink not on surface though any idea or advice

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you truly have any nitrite left unless you dosed an extreme amount of ammonia (which would create some issues).

do you have a picture of the sand?

Cassy621#

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you truly have any nitrite left unless you dosed an extreme amount of ammonia (which would create some issues).

do you have a picture of the sand?
Not dose ammonia sounds like I did it wrong. Pink sand turned to cyanobacteria so dosed ultralife red slime. Any idea on how to fix nitrates. I'm dosing microbacra daily

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dose ammonia sounds like I did it wrong. Pink sand turned to cyanobacteria so dosed ultralife red slime. Any idea on how to fix nitrates. I'm dosing microbacra daily

Nitrite can make nitrate appear high so make sure you don't have any nitrite. Outside that, water changes, macroalgae, and carbon dosing are the most impactful ways to lower nitrate

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are still in the early phases of the tank (6 weeks) I would stop adding anything (especially an antibiotic for Cyano), and just give it some time. Do you have any fish in the tank? i.e. is there a nutrient input to feed the bacteria?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back