Sandbed in sps tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter KevinC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KevinC

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
634
Reaction score
427
Location
nyc
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am currently running a 20 gallon tank with acropora. This is the ONLY tank, out of 4 that I have kept so far, that given me an insane algae issue. I have diatoms, Green hair algae all over the rock a little more than a month ago. After treating it with flux rx and taking out my fine sand bed (since its never clean), the condition improved a lot. I was planning to refill the tank with crushed coral, as suggested by the guy at my LFS before, but now, I am wondering if I should just run a bare bottom for easier maintenance and change out the live rock slowly and use the Tonga branch rock if possible. Any advice and suggestions? Thanks
 
Bare bottom is always going to be the easier way. I've done crushed coral too but that stuff builds up even more crap after a while. Was this LFS in San Jose by chance?
 
Go bb the clean up and maintenance is way better
 
Bare bottom is always going to be the easier way. I've done crushed coral too but that stuff builds up even more crap after a while. Was this LFS in San Jose by chance?

Nah, I am on the east coast. This tank gave me such a headache man, the algae issue almost made me give up on the tank, not to mention the 15 snails that I bought which I didn't even know they are alive until I cleared out the sand and moved the rocks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new