Sandbed stirred up

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3884.JPG

Was aquascaping and had a rock fall over and make this sandstorm in the tank.. any way to clear it up quick?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our sand rinse thread fixes that permanently and no other way is permanent, though sock/small micron canister filter from wal mart would catch that silt.

We should rip clean your entire tank perfect skip cycle clean

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our sand rinse thread fixes that permanently and no other way is permanent, though sock/small micron canister filter from wal mart would catch that silt.

We should rip clean your entire tank perfect skip cycle clean

I mean at this point this is the second time and I’m considering just running my hands through the entire sandbed to stir it all up one really good time to try and get it all out or most of it so I could finally finish my rock work

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will still leave a cloud tho :( the right way is take it out, tap rinse it till snowglobe clear

No doesn't kill bac off the grains. We do this to ten year old reefs for twenty pages.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Permanent freedom =
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

Let's fix it right, we could make if you want to this tank the first example of all on post #1 it's only for helping people avoid thinking we -can't rinse- and they have to be very careful.

Your tank passing a subsequent drop test on video like a snowglobe would bring a digital tear to my eye better than the bottle bac thread did for me lol

No rock slide would ever cause that again, you could grab sand to the very depths and drop it/cloudless. Silt is useless, a flocculant for detritus, feed for diatom challenges, we can start right before the sps show up vs after-like in that thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Permanent freedom =
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

Let's fix it right, we could make if you want to this tank the first example of all on post #1 it's only for helping people avoid thinking we -can't rinse- and they have to be very careful.

Your tank passing a subsequent drop test on video like a snowglobe would bring a digital tear to my eye better than the bottle bac thread did for me lol

No rock slide would ever cause that again, you could grab sand to the very depths and drop it/cloudless. Silt is useless, a flocculant for detritus, feed for diatom challenges, we can start right before the sps show up vs after-like in that thread.

It’s a very interesting thread. I’ll look into it

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should use this thread to decide formally in reefing if we should pre rinse caribsea wet pack sand or not, put and end to the debate. Of what benefit is the silt, to leave it in. I bet your tank is cleared up now that flocculation has time to occur but in hindsight would you have pre rinsed the sand given a do over

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should use this thread to decide formally in reefing if we should pre rinse caribsea wet pack sand or not, put and end to the debate. Of what benefit is the silt, to leave it in. I bet your tank is cleared up now that flocculation has time to occur but in hindsight would you have pre rinsed the sand given a do over

My only concern with it for someone just starting would be that they have a limited supply of salt water to rinse the sand and fill their tank. Especially with smaller systems. Other than that I have never rinsed sand so maybe for my next tank I’ll try it for sure but I didn’t want to pull the sandbed out and start all over again at the time.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how long had your tank been set up before the event, was curious and thanks for responding. I was under the impression it was still a new tank, well before full stocking of animals

In our sand rinse thread, we prep by rinsing in tap first, then saltwater as the final. Works great. Two points regarding if this harms nitrifers on the sand: system nitrification doesn't change after rinsing we show in our sand thread, and, people use bottle bac nowadays anyway redundantly even if it did. This is how we get twenty pages of compliant sand beds and no recycles.

Most people still say the tap rinse is harmful even after reading that work, although they're not pulling the thought from any sources it's just an internal urge saying it, no real work threads show issues with it (rather they show pure benefit with tap pre rinse)

Sandbeds are all about comfort zones of the keeper... They're not as restrictive as we were once told (that to touch, disturb or pre rinse would cause a measurable loss of something)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how long had your tank been set up before the event, was curious and thanks for responding. I was under the impression it was still a new tank, well before full stocking of animals

Yeah it was I was just setting up the rock work

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back