Sandwich bags to ship out???

SPS Addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im shipping out some zoas/palys. Can I just use sandwich bags and tripple bag them with a rubberband?? I don't have the fish store type bags. Thanks for the help

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can get some urine speciman cups, preferably unused. if the frags are small enough that is. then put them n those. works great.

or tlak to a LFS about getting some bags and maybe a box they get there shipments in, there probably just gonna throw it out anyway.

slkotara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the small container with screw on lids I have recieved them like that before. I think baggies will work if you even double them it overnight so they should be ok.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just buy the bags from the LFS's, they're usually glad to help out and sometimes give them out for free if I buy something at the same time.

The urine cups do work great for zoa's, still reluctant to try them for things that may want some more water. Need to find a slightly larger size of them....

slkotara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can get some urine speciman cups, preferably unused PLEASE UNUSED LOL

OP
OP
S

SPS Addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can get some urine speciman cups, preferably unused. if the frags are small enough that is. then put them n those. works great.

or tlak to a LFS about getting some bags and maybe a box they get there shipments in, there probably just gonna throw it out anyway.

the frags are small. I'll see if I can find some water tight tupperware containers. That would work right?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy in bulk amount of bags from my LFS...I order about $50 in bags every year!lol...sounds bad,hahahaha

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres what I do. Everything goes into a specimen cup, and then the specimen cup goes into a sandwich bag, and then sandwich bags go into a 3 gallon bag, or whatever is necessary.

This does a couple things:

1. NO LEAKS PERIOD!
2. Air is a great insulator (things stay warmer)
3. Air also acts as a great buffer between the corals and heat packs. No overheated water.
4. Air also acts as a bumper, and although I usually use packing peanuts as well, there is no such thing as overkill.

Overall, people are usually very happy with my specimens arrival, and the way I shipped and packed.

OP
OP
S

SPS Addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found Ziplock twist n lock containers at the grocery store (the ones with the blue lids). Gonna use these. They seem water tight. I hope they don't leak

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using a specimen cup are you glueing the frag to the bottom so that it doesn't move around and hit the sides/get damaged?

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using a specimen cup are you glueing the frag to the bottom so that it doesn't move around and hit the sides/get damaged?

No, but this might be a good idea...the only thing is that you have to make sure then that your box is marked this side up etc etc.

Others just cap off containers with some styrofoam and stick the plug into it.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

people usually use a piece of the white styro with a hole through it so the plug can be rubberbanded to the styro. Then the frag usually floats upside down in the water and can't bump up against the edges. You do have to be careful however as some types of styro will take on water and eventually sink.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back