Sarcophyton elegans "Yellow Fiji" tissue disintegration - help!

jadbug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I was fortunate enough to pick up a Sarcophyton elegans (I think a Yellow Fiji just not coloured up yet) a couple of weeks ago online. It arrived pale but in one piece. Unfortunately the foot of the coral has begun to disintegrate rapidly into white debris. The head seems okay, but the polyps are only half-extended polyps. The colour has been improving from white to beige-yellow.

Do you have advice? I am not sure if I should let nature take its course and see if it recovers, or if I should aggressively frag? Any lighting or flow advice? Please help!

Water chemistry:
pH 8.2
KH 10
NH3/4+ 0.1 mg/L
NO3 2 ppm
Ca ppm 410

IMG_5594.jpeg IMG_5593.jpeg IMG_5592.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dip it once then set it on a rock with several rocks to keep it from moving around. It should get decent flow but not enough to push it around. Be patient! If it's going to survive it will take time to attach and start growing. Picking it up or moving it around to check on it even just weekly only adds to it's stress and recovery time.

You didn't post your PO4 level, be sure it's above .03 mg/l (higher might be better)

OP
OP
jadbug

jadbug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dip it once then set it on a rock with several rocks to keep it from moving around. It should get decent flow but not enough to push it around. Be patient! If it's going to survive it will take time to attach and start growing. Picking it up or moving it around to check on it even just weekly only adds to it's stress and recovery time.

You didn't post your PO4 level, be sure it's above .03 mg/l (higher might be better)
Hey Timfish. I am dipping it now using Red Sea DipX and will place it somewhere it can stay settled.

Sadly, there has been more tissue disintegration since yesterday, but I will do as you advised and hope for the best. If it progresses past the foot I will consider fragging the head... It took me so long to find one of these!

My PO4 level is 0.04 mg/L. My other Sarcophytons are thriving so I'm not keen on changing much.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see any polyp extension I would leave it even if you see additional tissue loss. I know th eneed to do something is strong but keep in mind disturbing it to remove dead tissue adds additional stress to the polyps that are trying to recover and adapt to new condiitons.

OP
OP
jadbug

jadbug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see any polyp extension I would leave it even if you see additional tissue loss. I know th eneed to do something is strong but keep in mind disturbing it to remove dead tissue adds additional stress to the polyps that are trying to recover and adapt to new condiitons.
Thanks so much for your help, Timfish.

A week later and the Sarcophyton is holding on. Interestingly, long lacerations are forming along the foot and towards the crown, which is pinching in at the same points. It really looks like it's preparing to divide into smaller corals?

IMG_5650.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long folds or "lacerations" may be it is intiating a split. However I've seen them on toadstools for years and never go beyond a certain point.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks better. I have had mine get lacerations and no issues. May have been a hard shipping experience. The larger the leather, the harder they ship. When it colors up, it will be very nice indeed.

Broog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Favorite Coral, I just recieved a small one myself, for what its worth they like higher light medium to high in tank and medium to strong flow but more toward strong flow.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once established they like all the light you can give it. This was under 250 watt MH bulbs and 440 watts vho.
13972.jpeg

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As mentioned, they like high light and pretty high flow. I have one that was in 350 par and I recently moved it up to 450. I also read that green led and white help it maintain it's yellow color.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back