Sargassum Trigger emaciated

Bert Remley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, long time stalker first time poster!
I have a sargassum trigger that is emaciated. It made it through initial quarantine (CP and GC in water column). Introduced into display tank, all seemed well for a couple of weeks. It was never a voracious eater but appeared to eat enough. Then I noticed him getting skinny, thought he was getting out competed by more aggressive eaters. So moved back to a quarantine tank and began feeding a lot while keeping an eye on parameters.
This trigger can appear to be a picky eater, will eat veggie pellets, but sometimes will chew on them then spit them out, and repeat. But mostly he will get some down. Eats mysis occasionally and small krill often.
Still not gaining weight, suspect internal parasites even though I have not observed white stringy poop. As matter of fact until last night have never seen him poop (not white).

I treated originally in the 2nd trip with metroplex+focus. Did not appear to help. Now trying food soaked with focus+General Cure and garlic guard. Got him to eat a couple of times then appears to not want to eat food that has been treated with medicine.

Was able to collect a poop sample and examine under scope (pics attached). Have no idea what they are, has anyone seen these before? And do you have suggestions for treatment?

Sorry for the rambling email, and thanks for any help you can provide!

Bert

20200324_101341.jpg 20200324_100725.jpg 20200324_101444.jpg 20200323_212831.jpg 20200323_212838.jpg

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that.I am happy to see that you have already moved him back into quarantine.Hopefully one of the experts will chime in soon.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like internal parasites:

Treatment options - API General Cure (a medication containing both praziquantel and metronidazole). Some species of internal worms are resistant to prazi, while others are resistant to metro, but usually not both. Seachem MetroPlex can be dosed directly in QT, or soaking fish food with it provides an alternative (and reef safe) treatment option. Two other available options are: Paracide-X (mixed in food) and Paracide-D (in-tank treatment).

General Cure along side with Focus to bind into the food will work best,.

OP
OP
B

Bert Remley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like internal parasites:

Treatment options - API General Cure (a medication containing both praziquantel and metronidazole). Some species of internal worms are resistant to prazi, while others are resistant to metro, but usually not both. Seachem MetroPlex can be dosed directly in QT, or soaking fish food with it provides an alternative (and reef safe) treatment option. Two other available options are: Paracide-X (mixed in food) and Paracide-D (in-tank treatment).

General Cure along side with Focus to bind into the food will work best,.
Thanks, will continue with that treatment. Ever have a fish get put off from taste due to meds? This one will eat treated food once or twice then quit. Maybe make fresh every day?

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, will continue with that treatment. Ever have a fish get put off from taste due to meds? This one will eat treated food once or twice then quit. Maybe make fresh every day?

Same here. My Clown Trigger would eat it once and thats it! Then I would have to fight to get him to eat the food for the next 2 days even if it was unmedicated. Selcon is suppose to help but I havent tried it, I have tried Kent Garlic and that didnt help.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back