Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went back to 4/20 and all the way to today no tank update shots :eek:

Do you do before and after shots of the same piece? Besides the contest frag?
Forgive me. I've been in a funk. I'll grab some this weekend.

Nothing's really changed.

I don't by choice.. I'm sure I have enough pictures of my raja I could stitch them together and watch it grow but I don't do that on purpose.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me. I've been in a funk. I'll grab some this weekend.

Nothing's really changed.

I don't by choice.. I'm sure I have enough pictures of my raja I could stitch them together and watch it grow but I don't do that on purpose.
No worries. What's got you funked up bud?

If it's because you are out of voodoo ranger. I can door dash you some.

But honestly hopefully it's not too too serious. And if it is. Hope it's better soon

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. What's got you funked up bud?

If it's because you are out of voodoo ranger. I can door dash you some.

But honestly hopefully it's not too too serious. And if it is. Hope it's better soon
You get a picture of my weed garden.
PXL_20230501_163147166.jpg

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure he's having an Actual sale this weekend.
It's true. The 400 box is 20 more than the 300 after shipping is figured. Hit buy this morning. I don't really care what I get as long as it's hardy. These are my first acros after all.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's true. The 400 box is 20 more than the 300 after shipping is figured. Hit buy this morning. I don't really care what I get as long as it's hardy. These are my first acros after all.
Since putting up my big tank, I've come to accept that my current lighting solution, is inadequate to get the kind of par and coverage that I need/want.

Currently running 4x Red Sea LED 90's, 2x Kessil 360we, 2x Reef breeder 60" HO strips and still I'm unable to break 325 on my"high" light areas. The sandbed around most of the tank is sub 75.

Before adding any more serious sticks, I'm going to have to figure out a solution, there.

I'll probably end up building two, modular T5 hybrid type fixtures imitating what @F i s h y has going on, but a wider channel to offset the led into.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Since putting up my big tank, I've come to accept that my current lighting solution, is inadequate to get the kind of par and coverage that I need/want.

Currently running 4x Red Sea LED 90's, 2x Kessil 360we, 2x Reef breeder 60" HO strips and still I'm unable to break 325 on my"high" light areas. The sandbed around most of the tank is sub 75.

Before adding any more serious sticks, I'm going to have to figure out a solution, there.

I'll probably end up building two, modular T5 hybrid type fixtures imitating what @F i s h y has going on, but a wider channel to offset the led into.
Good plan! It’s surprising you’re not getting over 325 at the top with all those fixtures.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t think these par meters read led’s correctly… my current tank was lit with Red Sea 90’s only by the previous owner and the guy was growing sticks 8” off the sand bed without issues.
I had a single xr15 on my cube and it showed like 70 par in the center of the tank and my sticks were growing like crazy..

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know I’ve posted these on here before, and for the price it’s hard to ignore them…

This is the hanging kit I used on mine

OTTFF 8 Pcs Ceiling Light Fixtures Suspension Cables Kit Fitting, Steel Hanging Chains Adjustable Trim Length,3.2 ft for LED Panel Light Aquarium Lights Pendant Lighting https://a.co/d/30Xxnmj

The future comes with side rails that are 22.5” and the led mounting bars that come with it are total 10.75”, so you would have about 10.25” total between the t5 fixtures for leds. There is an available longer and shorter side rail option for them as well

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan! It’s surprising you’re not getting over 325 at the top with all those fixtures.
Tbh is really does makes sense when you look at the individual fixtures. Reef LED 90 are a pretty intense but direct light. They claim a 2x2 coverage area, but that is insufficient light in my opinion for Acro. I'm also 30"wide which is hard for any single lense. All the RS are running 100/100 for 8 hours a day and I have mud range coral asking more MOAR light.

The RB strips are Not intended for adding par, despite the deceptive marketing, calling it the high octane line. They pop the color in coral. They don't add much as far as light is concerned.

8" x 30" is a hard rectangle to fill, with narrow focused LEDs without fill light.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think these par meters read led’s correctly… my current tank was lit with Red Sea 90’s only by the previous owner and the guy was growing sticks 8” off the sand bed without issues.
I had a single xr15 on my cube and it showed like 70 par in the center of the tank and my sticks were growing like crazy..
Id think the apogee would be able to get me close but you are correct, I don't know if that is the exact number.

Reading the corals alone, I can tell you that my acans mid tank do inflate and stretch for light. So do mushrooms and a lot of the hammers at mid to low tank. My acro are encrusting, and growing but all are in their lower light colors. The pcRainbow specifically is growing green and yellow tips. They should be red.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id think the apogee would be able to get me close but you are correct, I don't know if that is the exact number.

Reading the corals alone, I can tell you that my acans mid tank do inflate and stretch for light. So do mushrooms and a lot of the hammers at mid to low tank. My acro are encrusting, and growing but all are in their lower light colors. The pcRainbow specifically is growing green and yellow tips. They should be red.
Yeah… my torches are good mid tank my hammers in the sand but acans… sheesh I get some bright rainbow ones and no matter what I wash them out in light or shade to a dull red with bluish stripes it never fails! Over my years of having tanks off and on I’ve had a heck of a time keeping the rainbow.. I just placed a colony in the dark to see what happens lol..

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’ve posted these on here before, and for the price it’s hard to ignore them…

This is the hanging kit I used on mine

OTTFF 8 Pcs Ceiling Light Fixtures Suspension Cables Kit Fitting, Steel Hanging Chains Adjustable Trim Length,3.2 ft for LED Panel Light Aquarium Lights Pendant Lighting https://a.co/d/30Xxnmj

The future comes with side rails that are 22.5” and the led mounting bars that come with it are total 10.75”, so you would have about 10.25” total between the t5 fixtures for leds. There is an available longer and shorter side rail option for them as well
Wow.. at that price for a 48" unit, it is kind of hard to ignore vs $600 for the other guy.

You're running this light currently?

They are non dimmable, correct?

Are they single or dual corded? If dual, are the in/out on one circuit or front bank/back bank?

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah… my torches are good mid tank my hammers in the sand but acans… sheesh I get some bright rainbow ones and no matter what I wash them out in light or shade to a dull red with bluish stripes it never fails! Over my years of having tanks off and on I’ve had a heck of a time keeping the rainbow.. I just placed a colony in the dark to see what happens lol..
Acans have failed to thrive for me in every color variant, until recently. I wasn't killing them off, but they were just never happy. Not reproducing with any regularity.

Now, Something has seemed to change, every one is just taking off.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans have failed to thrive for me in every color variant, until recently. I wasn't killing them off, but they were just never happy. Not reproducing with any regularity.

Now, Something has seemed to change, every one is just taking off.
Mine grow and have babies but the rainbow leaves for a boring red which is believed to be to much light over the years.. at least that’s what I’ve gotten from research.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. at that price for a 48" unit, it is kind of hard to ignore vs $600 for the other guy.

You're running this light currently?

They are non dimmable, correct?

Are they single or dual corded? If dual, are the in/out on one circuit or front bank/back bank?
I have this light... Non-dimmable, and each T5 pair (front and back) has a power cord - they end up on the same side of the fixture. I got the extension endplates and longer light mounts and the distance between the banks is 12". I like it :)

Edit: my tank is 60"x30" and I got the 48" fixture... Could have opted for the 60" and been fine too

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 77.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back