SB reef light used for refugium??

Mattman1977

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 27, 2018
Messages
242
Reaction score
179
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m setting up a new tank in a few months but I’m gathering the equipment now. Tank stand powerheads and lights are waiting in the storage building for the right time but I’m planning a fuge in the sump and after watching all kinds of videos on YouTube including the brs chaeto series and then it dawned on my I have a pair of SB reef lights 16” basic just hanging out in the closet so got me to thinking if I could use it for my fuge light.

Well I know the whites aren’t something needed in a fuge so was thinking I could remove the whites and add more reds to the mix to get the heavy blue and red spectrum that’s best for plant growth or would I be ok just leaving them as is. I might be better off selling the pair and buying a Kessil h380. Any led experts on here that can give there opinion?

Matt
 
Red and blue for chaeto, sea lettuce, etc. growth. Whites you are likely to get lots of algae. Been there done that. Yikes! Big fan of SB reef lights BTW.
 
@Big G thanks for the response. Yeah figured the whites would cause a algae issue that’s why I was thinking about pulling the whites and replacing them with blues and reds.

I like the SB reef lights also just have to many of them. Have 5 total lol. Bought a few new then found a few for sale super cheap and couldn’t pass them up before I knew it I had a closet full of stuff I wasn’t using

I’ll probably go with the Kessil H380 and start selling off some of my extras. Just wondered if anyone had tried converting a black box to a refugium light

Matt
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new