SB Reef Lights Ultra Light

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by vsaunders, Jan 29, 2018.

1. vsaunders

vsaunders Member

Hi, I am shopping around for a new light to go over my Mixed reef and found the SB Ultra fixture. I noticed they had a give away on this site last year and am hoping that maybe some people bought some of their lights and have used them and could let me know how the perform and how they look on their tank.

2. Big G

Big G Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Got one on my 90. Very happy with it. Plenty of power. Runs off wifi on your phone. No fan, so it's completely quiet. Great coverage. Solid build quality. Highly recommend.

3. vsaunders

vsaunders Member

@Big G could I see some pictures of how your reef looks under how you normally run it?

4. vsaunders

vsaunders Member

Just bumping this to see if anyone else might have the light I am curious to know about

5. Big G

Big G Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Sorry, I can't get my iPhone to airdrop new pictures. Arrgh. Here's an older pic
    IMG_1039.JPG

6. vsaunders

vsaunders Member

That is a good one. Looks nice, though quite purple though that might be the phones camera more than anything. What would you have in the way of complaints? Just want to get a good assessment on the light. How easy is it to adjust the individual channels? what are the increments of the adjustments (1,5,10)?

7. Big G

The channel adjustment is a drag and drop 0-100% on 4 channels. It's a little touchy but even my big fingers work it pretty well. Yeah, the blues were way up in the photo and the whites way down. Mike at SB made a video on how to setup the channels on this page https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/10-sbox-extreme-32-wifi.html
    Scroll down to the bottom of the page. And he has added a chart showing the basic 4 channel setup, that was not there when I bought mine. No complaints. It works great. Small detail, every once in awhile my phone will default to the lights wifi signal instead of my home's router. Not often, just weird that it does that.

8. vsaunders

vsaunders Member

Yea I watch the video on their site but still wanted a user opinion of the light. so controls are a little touchy... not hard to work with and the phone will sometimes default to the lights Wifi... not too bad as long as it doesn't change light settings.

9. Big G

Nope the settings have stayed rock solid. The only part that takes getting used to is the input of the settings. You have to follow the same steps each time. So you are repeating each step over, and over, to setup an entire day. He shows the steps in the video and makes it look easy because he does it all the time. My first time setting up a program was a bit frustrating (old guy) LOL :eek: Would be a big improvement if instead of the drag and drop, they used the little "wheel" things you see on lots of programs. For example if I was trying to set 12% on a particular channel, for multiple time periods, sometimes you end up with 13% or 11% because the dragging and dropping is a bit challenging to control with precision. But in reality that 1% doesn't really effect the output that much because of the 0-100% range. I'm used to it now and have several programs loaded onto my phone: coral acclimation, fish acclimation, algae reduction, normal, etc. Very easy to switch back and forth. Hope this helps. The light is really solidly built. When they ship it, it comes in a carton that is so carefully and strongly packaged, you could drive a truck over it and I seriously doubt there would be damage.

10. vsaunders

vsaunders Member

Good to know cause I was looking at the specks and it looks like they did their take on an Orphek Atlanik V4 with how they have their lights set up and I have seen what an Orphek can do.

11. happyhourhero

happyhourhero Valuable Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I can vouch for the spectrum Mike has selected for the lights but I have not used the ultras. Have 2 years of SB use under my belt though and have really enjoyed them.

Big G likes this.
  12. timnem70

timnem70 Active Member

I have an SB on my cube. Not the ultra and Deffinatley not as full spectrum as the Kessils on my other tank but it is a Great light and has done well for me and the inhabitants of the tank.[​IMG]

13. Michael pugh

Michael pugh Active Member

I have the ultra on my 75. mixed reef. what max percent are you running on each channel?

Draft saved Draft deleted