SCA-302 skimmer tuning

  • Thread starter Thread starter SallyWho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SallyWho

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2017
Messages
879
Reaction score
669
Location
SW Missouri
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used skimmer- an SCA-302- and have been trying intermittently to get it to play nice. User error, I'm sure. According to specs, it should be in 6-9" of water. It's sitting at 7" on an egg crate box. At the highest setting, the foam will slowly rise to the edge of the cup, come so close to spilling over into the collection cup, and then abruptly fall again. Lower settings won't get the foam high enough to reach the cup. Or, alternatively, it will decide that it wants to overflow everywhere and make a big ol' mess. Being used, I didn't think I'd need to break it in, but I haven't had it on regularly, so maybe that's one of the issues? I've had it off for a bit while I figured out what to do about the microbubbles it was spitting out- they were messing with the optical sensor on my ATO. I'm going to see if a pad of filter floss between the baffles before the return chamber will take care of them, so I can use both my ATO and my skimmer at the same time. Also, I only have one fish and a couple cuc in a 120g tank with 40b sump, so maybe there's just not enough gunk to generate the viscosity necessary for consistent foam? In a few weeks, QT will be over for two more fish, so there'll be 3 fish with heavy feeding in a relatively new tank. Do I just need to be patient with the skimmer until I have more bioload? Should I sink it one more inch deeper to see if it generates foam easier? Only run it every few days, since the bioload is so low? Any thoughts? Thank you!
 
I would lower it a inch and see what happens.. if you get it so the foam is rising to rim but falling it should eventually start gradually overflowing I would just give it time once you get it set that close. That’s a great skimmer should work well for you.
 
I would lower it a inch and see what happens.. if you get it so the foam is rising to rim but falling it should eventually start gradually overflowing I would just give it time once you get it set that close. That’s a great skimmer should work well for you.
Thank you! I'll give that a shot. I've heard good things about this skimmer, so when I saw a used one for $100, I snapped it up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new