IMG_20200216_181156.jpg
IMG_20200214_225439.jpg

JC50g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, let me know how that light works on your refugium. I am going to start mine soon in the same sump, but not sure what would work well.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, let me know how that light works on your refugium. I am going to start mine soon in the same sump, but not sure what would work well.

Thanks

So far idk if i could recommend it or not with the results I have seen. This is my first attempt at trying to run a Fuge with Chaeto so it could also be user error. I have lost about 75% of the Chaeto I placed in there a few weeks ago.

I also have had an awful time keeping it to stay put so I would say 20% of that ended up getting sucked up through the return pump and into my display. I think the sump could benefit from some sort of plastic add on baffle that you see on some of these aftermarket sumps. A baffle that resembles the front of our SCA overflows. I think that would help catch some of it before it reached the return chamber.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to help from my wife. Finally got the BRS 5 Stage installed in the laundry room. I added on the gauge but still a few leak drops even with the plumbing tape so have to figure that out.

Also have the dual line TDS meter that needs to be installed. For now I am just testing with my handheld meter until that is done.

I seem to be getting right at 40 PSI on the pressure gauge. Recommended for this unit is 50-80 so not sure what to do about that. It seems to be putting out water at a great rate though. Way faster than the RO Buddie I had.

IMG_20200222_154512.jpg

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup, I've got the 50G SCA and the Hydra 32HD as well, and man was the light a pain. I got the flex arm for it in the first place because I read that it was interchangeable but required a different C bracket to hold the light if you got the model designed for the 26HD by mistake. I found one that was called the "new" flex arm, but it wasn't the right size. I contacted AI and asked where I could purchase the larger bracket, but was told to just buy the HMS single arm mounting kit. Fantastic waste of $70.

How do you like the Jebao DCT4000? I've got the pump that came with the 50 gallon cube setup, and while not terrible it does have a hum that I'd like to cut down on a bit if possible. Does the DCT4000 have enough power for the tank and is it any quieter?

I may have missed it, but if you are still looking for a refugium light, I picked up a really nice deal on the Kessil H350 here https://growershouse.com/kessil-h350-led-grow-light-350-purple I haven't gotten around to setting it up but I've read good things, and for the price I couldn't pass it up. The purple seems to be favorable over the magenta, but I believe they are the same price if that suits your fancy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup, I've got the 50G SCA and the Hydra 32HD as well, and man was the light a pain. I got the flex arm for it in the first place because I read that it was interchangeable but required a different C bracket to hold the light if you got the model designed for the 26HD by mistake. I found one that was called the "new" flex arm, but it wasn't the right size. I contacted AI and asked where I could purchase the larger bracket, but was told to just buy the HMS single arm mounting kit. Fantastic waste of $70.

How do you like the Jebao DCT4000? I've got the pump that came with the 50 gallon cube setup, and while not terrible it does have a hum that I'd like to cut down on a bit if possible. Does the DCT4000 have enough power for the tank and is it any quieter?

I may have missed it, but if you are still looking for a refugium light, I picked up a really nice deal on the Kessil H350 here https://growershouse.com/kessil-h350-led-grow-light-350-purple I haven't gotten around to setting it up but I've read good things, and for the price I couldn't pass it up. The purple seems to be favorable over the magenta, but I believe they are the same price if that suits your fancy.

Thanks!

This has def been one of the more frustrating things so far. I tried mounting the correct way, and if you saw earlier in my build thread the light ended up taking a tumble and chipping the corner of the tank. Somehow it avoided falling into the tank. For now I have it mounted in reverse so that the tightening bolt is on the outside of the overflow. It works, but I would rather have it the correct way as I see a lit. On page 3 of my build thread @JC50g has the same tank and light. He was able to cut some of the bolt down to make it fit correctly. I still need to try this myself.

The DCT4000 has been great. I had adapter issues with the PH2500 and never even hooked it up. May use it to mix saltwater with, or have it around as a back up. The 4000 is dead silent and being able to control flow, and pause for feeding is excellent. I have tried turning it up close to max and all it does is cause a big sandstorm. Right now i think i have it at the 18 watts setting. So with that and one Jebao SOW-8 (50%) i think its enough flow. I am still trying to figure out the flow thing though because I have had the SOW-8 mounted everywhere on this tank, and so far I like it on the right side glass.

I have a cheap ACKE grow light from amazon. The reviews were positive, but so far my Chaeto that I put in is almost gone. I am not sure if its the light itself, or the Chaeto not getting enough nutrients.

Keep me updated on your build. I like to see the other builds of this tank. I am def around for questions, and always looking for tips myself on what I can improve.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a few months so thought it might be time for a few updates.

- Had issues during a cleaning session and dropped my Jebao wave maker controller in the sump. I had planned to get another SOW-8, but when this happened i scrapped that plan. I ended up buying two of the Jebao SLW 20's instead. These are considered to Nero 5 clones. So far I am liking them, and able to run them in master/slave mode.

- Switched salts from regular IO to Fritz RPM Blue. I have only so far changed out 10 gallons, but so far so good. I plan to do another 10 gallons at some point this weekend.

Two big problems i am facing right now is a big Cyano outbreak and issues with my second skimmer pump.

The cyano i am just trying to cure with some water changes, but may end up having to try a product to get it cleared up

As far as the skimmer. I am still using the SCA 301 which works fine but the pumps on these things are the worst. I am on my second pump and within 1 month it was doing the exact same thing. It gets to a point where it is so loud you can't even run it while you are in the room. Needless to say I am in the market to upgrade this skimmer so if anyone has any thoughts on what skimmer will work with these sumps then let me know. I have been looking at the Bubble Magus 5 and the Reef Octo 110 SSS.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a few months so thought it might be time for a few updates.

- Had issues during a cleaning session and dropped my Jebao wave maker controller in the sump. I had planned to get another SOW-8, but when this happened i scrapped that plan. I ended up buying two of the Jebao SLW 20's instead. These are considered to Nero 5 clones. So far I am liking them, and able to run them in master/slave mode.

- Switched salts from regular IO to Fritz RPM Blue. I have only so far changed out 10 gallons, but so far so good. I plan to do another 10 gallons at some point this weekend.

Two big problems i am facing right now is a big Cyano outbreak and issues with my second skimmer pump.

The cyano i am just trying to cure with some water changes, but may end up having to try a product to get it cleared up

As far as the skimmer. I am still using the SCA 301 which works fine but the pumps on these things are the worst. I am on my second pump and within 1 month it was doing the exact same thing. It gets to a point where it is so loud you can't even run it while you are in the room. Needless to say I am in the market to upgrade this skimmer so if anyone has any thoughts on what skimmer will work with these sumps then let me know. I have been looking at the Bubble Magus 5 and the Reef Octo 110 SSS.
Reef octo is better than the BM. I would get a Nyos 120 or a regal 150 ss. The regal is one of the best out there ime.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back