SCA 50 Cube Build Thread

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydra 32 should be good for lps and softies, I run a radion XR30 on my 50 cube and sometimes wish for more. I did just add a reef Breeders lumen bar to my setup

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydra 32 should be good for lps and softies, I run a radion XR30 on my 50 cube and sometimes wish for more. I did just add a reef Breeders lumen bar to my setup

Awesome. I figured I could always put another 32hd on it down the road if i felt like I needed more lighting. By that time i could probably find a used one. While waiting on my mount to come in I am going to look in to at least setting up the schedules and all of that.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to let you know I was looking through this and you should remove the foam pad from the sump - it will cause issues when it gets clogged!

Thanks for looking out. I actually removed it about 3 days ago after seeing some info on the padding being linked to high Nitrate levels.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year everyone! Still waiting on my mount to arrive for my Hydra 32. Guessing it will at least be Thursday since the mail will not run today.

I did however load a few lighting presets for it. I actually found out that Waterbox has presets for the Hydra 32 lights on their website. I went ahead and grabbed the the soft/LPS, and LPS/SPS for the Reef 70.2. That tank is fairly close to the dimensions on my tank so I will start out with one of those and see how it goes.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm guessing I am going to have to lift the T up in the overflow to install the mount for the Hydra32.

IMG_20200103_070558.jpg

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to sneak my RMS mount by, not sure about the hydra mount

Will post pics here in a few. I ended up having to reverse the clamp because the tightening bolt was just barely too long even with it tightened. I may end up having to think out another plan because I am not satisfied with how the power wiring is.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an updated pic of the tank with the new Hydra 32 lights. I also changed some of the rock scape since the last pictures I posted.

IMG_20200103_194921.jpg

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a little mishap yesterday due to a careless mistake on my part. I tried mounting my Hydra 32 lights with the clamp on the inside of the overflow which I think is how it's supposed to be. Well the return T doesn't really allow you to set the clamp all the way flush. It seemed like it was secured enough to work but I guess not. The light tipped over and hit the back corner of the tank. Luckily the Hydra did not fall inside the tank.

Come home yesterday to this

IMG_20200121_172937.jpg
IMG_20200121_172922.jpg

I posted on the emergency forum and the feedback that I got was overwhelmingly positive. Will keep an eye on things but seems that it is just a small chip on the back left of the tank. It is just a small piece that chipped off.

JC50g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a little mishap yesterday due to a careless mistake on my part. I tried mounting my Hydra 32 lights with the clamp on the inside of the overflow which I think is how it's supposed to be. Well the return T doesn't really allow you to set the clamp all the way flush. It seemed like it was secured enough to work but I guess not. The light tipped over and hit the back corner of the tank. Luckily the Hydra did not fall inside the tank.

Come home yesterday to this

IMG_20200121_172937.jpg
IMG_20200121_172922.jpg

I posted on the emergency forum and the feedback that I got was overwhelmingly positive. Will keep an eye on things but seems that it is just a small chip on the back left of the tank. It is just a small piece that chipped off.
Ouch! How would you mount it if you did it again? I am about to start my SCA 50 and have a hydra mount.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! How would you mount it if you did it again? I am about to start my SCA 50 and have a hydra mount.

I basically ended up putting it like I originally had it "should of kept it that way". The way the return T sits in the overflow it does not allow the mount to sit all they way flush like it's supposed to. I thought I could get away with it going down half way. It appeared it would be fine but it potentially was around a $1200 mistake between tank and lights.

This is a pic of how I had to settle with mounting. I am pretty sure it's supposed to be the opposite way but it just does not sit right . If anyone has gotten it to work on this mount I would like to see it.

IMG_20200103_194728.jpg

As you see below in this picture the clamp cannot sit fully flush with the tank, and eventually led to my mount crashing down and chipping the tank. This will give you an idea. When it fell over it sat a little lower where the tighten bolt was touching the PVC. It seemed like it was right and secore, but it wasn't.

IMG_20200103_070558.jpg

So all in all it works with the clamp on the back side of the tank, but it seems the mount tends to lean forward a little bit to me.

JC50g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically ended up putting it like I originally had it "should of kept it that way". The way the return T sits in the overflow it does not allow the mount to sit all they way flush like it's supposed to. I thought I could get away with it going down half way. It appeared it would be fine but it potentially was around a $1200 mistake between tank and lights.

This is a pic of how I had to settle with mounting. I am pretty sure it's supposed to be the opposite way but it just does not sit right . If anyone has gotten it to work on this mount I would like to see it.

IMG_20200103_194728.jpg

As you see below in this picture the clamp cannot sit fully flush with the tank, and eventually led to my mount crashing down and chipping the tank. This will give you an idea. When it fell over it sat a little lower where the tighten bolt was touching the PVC. It seemed like it was right and secore, but it wasn't.

IMG_20200103_070558.jpg

So all in all it works with the clamp on the back side of the tank, but it seems the mount tends to lean forward a little bit to me.
I just got my sca 50 set up with the same mount. I tried cutting the bolt down, then putting a glass protection pad between the bolt and the glass. This let the mount go all the way down and could fit with the T bar. Thanks for the thread, it helped a lot
1580859233708.jpeg

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I will def see about trying this out since it seemed to work for you. How much did you have to cut off?

I have some updates on the tank that I'll be posting in the next day or so
I just got my sca 50 set up with the same mount. I tried cutting the bolt down, then putting a glass protection pad between the bolt and the glass. This let the mount go all the way down and could fit with the T bar. Thanks for the thread, it helped a lot
1580859233708.jpeg

Nice! I will def see about trying this out since it seemed to work for you. How much did you have to cut off?

I have some updates on the tank that I'll be posting in the next day or so.

JC50g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have some updates on the tank that I'll be posting in the next day or so

I have some updates on the tank that I'll be posting in the next day or so.
I screwed the bolt all of the way in and the held it above the glass to see where to cut it. I think it was about an inch.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a few updates coming as I have gotten behind on the build thread. Tank has been up and running around 3 months now. I will update everything in this post, and then will add some pictures in a separate post.

Equipment / Changes since my last update

BRS 5 Stage 100 GPD RODI system

- Purchased Hanna Checker for Alk
- Moved over to Salifert kit for Calcium

- SCA hooked me up with a new skimmer pump. The one I had got really loud, and from what I read they tend to seize up often. I emailed SCA for suggestions and Steve went ahead and emailed me back saying a new pump was being shipped to me the next day.

- Added refugium to middle chamber. Not sure if I will keep it though. I received two big bags of Chaeto from a local reefer near me. That was about 2-3 weeks ago and most of it has completely died off. I am using a ACKE grow light from Amazon, and not sure if the light is the issue, or it's not receiving enough nutrients. Feel free to chime in with any ideas. I still have a little left, so hopefully I can revive it.

Eheim 150w heater hooked up to an inkbird 306t controller

Fish / Corals

Scooter Blenny - Added in two bottles of pods. One went in at night on my rockwork, and the other bottle went in the refugium.

Banggai Cardinal

Black Clown to go with my other clown. Been about a month now and they both seem to be getting along fine.

Small Yellow Tang - Please nobody call the tang police. Will either have a tank upgrade in future, or will trade it back in if it gets too big.

Rose Bubble Tip Anemone

Orange Florida Ricordia - Frag

Lavender / Green Acans - Frag

Jedi Mind Trick - Frag

Red Monti Cap - Frag

Green Chalice

Trachyphyllia

Will update next post with some pictures!

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back