SCA 50/LifeReef Build

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have been meaning to get this build thread up for months. This was an upgrade from a standard 29 gallon I had running for about 18 months. Prior to that I was out of the hobby for about 4 years but couldn't stand a tankless life any longer haha. Unfortunately I move for work every 12-18 months so the real dream, a custom 150+ gallon shallow reef, is not feasible. In its place is a 50 gallon slice of that dream with a custom LifeReef sump. The system has been up and running since the end of March and besides new sand all of the rock was transferred from the old system.

I may be a millennial but LOVE old school hand crafted aquarium gear that just plain works. I have always admired Jeff's work from afar and some of the best systems I have ever seen, my high school biology teachers classroom system (this system drove me to become a certified scuba diver and get my degree in Marine Science) and the system in my collegiate marine science lab, used his gear. The best thing about both systems is that they have been in continuous use since the early 90's with nothing more then replacing the gaskets and pumps a few times. Thus when I decided to finally set up a system with a sump (all of my previous tanks had used HOB equipment) I immediately contacted Jeff and began planning out my system. My three requirements were to use as much of his signature neon green as he could, leave enough room for a 24" skimmer, and put the largest refugium he could fit into my SCA 50 stand. Through the planning Jeff talked me into removing the doors from the stand in order to fit as large of a sump as I could. I am glad I did this as the system truly looks awesome and is something you cant help but want to show off!!!!

Okay so now onto the good stuff; the complete system consists of the SCA 50 main display with LifeReef sump. And a completely isolated Fluval Spec V frag/coral quarantine system. The equipment is all fairly high end stuff as I am DONE wasting money on cheaper equipment. See below for full equipment/livestock break downs and the obligatory build thread photos, enjoy!!!!!

SCA 50 Equipment

Tank/Stand: SCAquariums 50 Gallon Starfire Cube with packaged black MDF stand. I sealed all seems and hardware holes with silicon to ensure the integrity of the MDF. Also, I made a support platform the system out of 3/4" plywood and DryMate waterproof/absorbing mat to protect the floor from spills.

Sump: Custom LifeReef Model B

HOB Refugium: Marina HOB Breeder Box hard plumbed to my return

Controller: APEX 2016 w/ LSM, BOB, WXM, AFS, and Jebao pump controller.

Lighting Display: AI Hydra 52 HD (running my custom port of WWC's SPS AB+ Radion schedule) and two supplemental 24" SunBlaster T5HO strips running 6500k Tropic bulbs to eliminate shading. This combo provides the display with my ideal overall look of around 10-12000k.
Lighting Refugium Sump: AI PrimeHD running 10 hrs a day on 9000k setting
Lighting Refugium HOB: Finnex Fugeray

Skimmer: LifeReef SVS-24 24" Flanged Skimmer driven by a Danner MagDrive 12

Return Pump: Jebao DCP 8000

Media Reactors: 1 LifeReef media reactor running carbon/phosguard/purigen, 1 LifeReef bioreactor currently not in use.

CO2 Scrubber: TLF Phosban Reactor running Medvet medical grade Soda Lime

Water Movement: Display- 2 Ecotech Vortech MP10QDW & 2 Jebao RW-4. The pumps are controlled on a custom schedule via apex. Refugium- Hydor Pico

Doser: Jebao DP-4 dosing 40ml of BRS 2-part daily.

ATO: IceCap ATO and custom 7.5 gallon reservoir

Fluval Spec V Equipment

Lighting: Kessel A80 Tuna Blue

ATO: Jebao Doser adding 200ml of water a day (not perfect but reduces topping off from a daily activity to a weekly one)

Filtration: AquaClear 30 running carbon and phosguard

Livestock

Fish: Gold Head Sleeper Goby x2, Randall's Goby x2, 1 True Percula Clown, 1 Sanjay Black Photon PerculaxOcellaris Clown, 1 Chromis Veridis, 1 Algae Blenny, 1 Sixline Wrasse, 1 Ornatissmus Xmas Wrasse.

Notable Inverts: 1 Rainbow Rose BTA, 1 Randall's Pistol Shrimp, 1 Skunk Cleaner, 1 Emrald Crab

Macro Algae: Culerpa Prolifera

Notable LPS Corals: Gold Leptastrea, Purple Tyree Leptastrea, Peach Octospawn, Neon Seafoam Octospawn, True Blue Tip Aussie Gold Torch.

Notable SPS: ORA Supernatural Stylophora, ORA Purple Polyp Stylophora, DFS Purple Polyp Green Birdsnest, ORA Orange Polyp Blue Montipora Digitata, 1 WWC Forest Fire Encrusting Montipora, 1 WWC Darth Maul Porites.

Notable Acropora: WWC Ultimate Green Polyp Efflo, WWC Pink Tip, WWC Sub Zero Tenuis, WWC Notaclue, WWC Green Austera, PC Rainbow, DFS Neon Green Vermiculata.

That's about it I hope you guys like the system and I will update with progress pictures as time goes on!

IMG_0364.JPG
b53671bf6b8cc5480cf33a3c69e77e8d.jpg
IMG_0371.JPG
IMG_0375.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add the obligatory blurb on maintenance so here goes lol. Dosing is kept fairly simple with 40ml (of each part) of BRS 2-part dosed daily in 7 separate doses via a Jebao DP-4. I also manually dose Vibrant, Prodibio BioDigest, and Prodibio Bioptim manually every 2 weeks. Trace mineral replacement is satisfied with 5-10 gallon water changes bi-weekly. I usually stick to good old regular IO for my salt mix but will buy RSCP when I find it on sale. Living in Florida the moisture in the air turns IO to a solid brick, whereas RSCP does not. I do not care for RSCP high numbers but their regular salt bricks like IO, so RSCP it is haha. Outside of that I run a fairly basic system and practice good husbandry. The tank is still going through some algae blooms but overall for a 3 month old system I am quite happy the results and can not wait to see the system progress!!!

As an aside on the equipment end I forgot to add that I heat the system with 1 Ehiem Jager 150W and 1 Cobalt NeoTherm both controlled via Apex set to 80 +- 0.5 degrees. Both units are run in the display per personal preference. Well I think that actually wraps it up I hope the R2R community enjoys and thank you for following along!!!!!!

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never get any traction on these darn tank journal threads lol

kdino1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking those t5 units? have you added on a reflector to them to focus the light?

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking those t5 units? have you added on a reflector to them to focus the light?

They actually came with a reflector which for the price of the fixture is not bad at all. See below for the fixture details.

55b030ca72ee9ac0eb79aa83bd4a76b7.jpg

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool little build. :)
How's the tank doing?

Here are the promised updated pics. A lot has happened since my last update. I drilled the Fluval Spec V and added it to the main system. Controlling nutrients in such a small tank was wayyy to difficult and it is working very well as a frag tank. I am still very happy with the LifeReef build as well. It really is amazing how much is packed into such a tight space. Finally, I have been traveling a ton for work recently and lost some Acropora due to a nutrient spike and the introduction of redbugs. But the bugs are gone and nutrients are back down after beginning NOPOX. I feel like the tank is just about ready to take off. Now that I have some traction I will try to post updates more frequently. Hope everyone enjoys and HAPPY REEFING!

bd8285480f3a6d5400c8b2589cfb9a86.jpg
8bc5ab3f14072579a69d92e93ca35736.jpg
aaa8fa7f3bb59c36cf0da7a4cb910eee.jpg
56a4da49d8112a42d4949df366775f0a.jpg

BillyW

FOWLR while out on the island of Oahu!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome your fuge looks like it has exploded! I followed it a little on the reefcentral lifereef thread because I just finally got my lifereef skimmer, not the whole setup but it's still sweet! I'm in the same boat as you and have to move all the time so I have a small tank too, but your setup is dope! Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome your fuge looks like it has exploded! I followed it a little on the reefcentral lifereef thread because I just finally got my lifereef skimmer, not the whole setup but it's still sweet! I'm in the same boat as you and have to move all the time so I have a small tank too, but your setup is dope! Keep up the good work!

Thanks man much appreciated. The fuge is growing well but I am contemplating taking it off line and consolidating the frag tank into the fuge area. I feel like it's fighting me since I have started carbon dosing. I wish it could keep nutrients in check by itself but it unfortunately isn't big enough to do so with the amount I feed.

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking set up and tank; looks like a little marine biology lab!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back