SCA 50/LifeReef Build

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have been meaning to get this build thread up for months. This was an upgrade from a standard 29 gallon I had running for about 18 months. Prior to that I was out of the hobby for about 4 years but couldn't stand a tankless life any longer haha. Unfortunately I move for work every 12-18 months so the real dream, a custom 150+ gallon shallow reef, is not feasible. In its place is a 50 gallon slice of that dream with a custom LifeReef sump. The system has been up and running since the end of March and besides new sand all of the rock was transferred from the old system.

I may be a millennial but LOVE old school hand crafted aquarium gear that just plain works. I have always admired Jeff's work from afar and some of the best systems I have ever seen, my high school biology teachers classroom system (this system drove me to become a certified scuba diver and get my degree in Marine Science) and the system in my collegiate marine science lab, used his gear. The best thing about both systems is that they have been in continuous use since the early 90's with nothing more then replacing the gaskets and pumps a few times. Thus when I decided to finally set up a system with a sump (all of my previous tanks had used HOB equipment) I immediately contacted Jeff and began planning out my system. My three requirements were to use as much of his signature neon green as he could, leave enough room for a 24" skimmer, and put the largest refugium he could fit into my SCA 50 stand. Through the planning Jeff talked me into removing the doors from the stand in order to fit as large of a sump as I could. I am glad I did this as the system truly looks awesome and is something you cant help but want to show off!!!!

Okay so now onto the good stuff; the complete system consists of the SCA 50 main display with LifeReef sump. And a completely isolated Fluval Spec V frag/coral quarantine system. The equipment is all fairly high end stuff as I am DONE wasting money on cheaper equipment. See below for full equipment/livestock break downs and the obligatory build thread photos, enjoy!!!!!

SCA 50 Equipment

Tank/Stand: SCAquariums 50 Gallon Starfire Cube with packaged black MDF stand. I sealed all seems and hardware holes with silicon to ensure the integrity of the MDF. Also, I made a support platform the system out of 3/4" plywood and DryMate waterproof/absorbing mat to protect the floor from spills.

Sump: Custom LifeReef Model B

HOB Refugium: Marina HOB Breeder Box hard plumbed to my return

Controller: APEX 2016 w/ LSM, BOB, WXM, AFS, and Jebao pump controller.

Lighting Display: AI Hydra 52 HD (running my custom port of WWC's SPS AB+ Radion schedule) and two supplemental 24" SunBlaster T5HO strips running 6500k Tropic bulbs to eliminate shading. This combo provides the display with my ideal overall look of around 10-12000k.
Lighting Refugium Sump: AI PrimeHD running 10 hrs a day on 9000k setting
Lighting Refugium HOB: Finnex Fugeray

Skimmer: LifeReef SVS-24 24" Flanged Skimmer driven by a Danner MagDrive 12

Return Pump: Jebao DCP 8000

Media Reactors: 1 LifeReef media reactor running carbon/phosguard/purigen, 1 LifeReef bioreactor currently not in use.

CO2 Scrubber: TLF Phosban Reactor running Medvet medical grade Soda Lime

Water Movement: Display- 2 Ecotech Vortech MP10QDW & 2 Jebao RW-4. The pumps are controlled on a custom schedule via apex. Refugium- Hydor Pico

Doser: Jebao DP-4 dosing 40ml of BRS 2-part daily.

ATO: IceCap ATO and custom 7.5 gallon reservoir

Fluval Spec V Equipment

Lighting: Kessel A80 Tuna Blue

ATO: Jebao Doser adding 200ml of water a day (not perfect but reduces topping off from a daily activity to a weekly one)

Filtration: AquaClear 30 running carbon and phosguard

Livestock

Fish: Gold Head Sleeper Goby x2, Randall's Goby x2, 1 True Percula Clown, 1 Sanjay Black Photon PerculaxOcellaris Clown, 1 Chromis Veridis, 1 Algae Blenny, 1 Sixline Wrasse, 1 Ornatissmus Xmas Wrasse.

Notable Inverts: 1 Rainbow Rose BTA, 1 Randall's Pistol Shrimp, 1 Skunk Cleaner, 1 Emrald Crab

Macro Algae: Culerpa Prolifera

Notable LPS Corals: Gold Leptastrea, Purple Tyree Leptastrea, Peach Octospawn, Neon Seafoam Octospawn, True Blue Tip Aussie Gold Torch.

Notable SPS: ORA Supernatural Stylophora, ORA Purple Polyp Stylophora, DFS Purple Polyp Green Birdsnest, ORA Orange Polyp Blue Montipora Digitata, 1 WWC Forest Fire Encrusting Montipora, 1 WWC Darth Maul Porites.

Notable Acropora: WWC Ultimate Green Polyp Efflo, WWC Pink Tip, WWC Sub Zero Tenuis, WWC Notaclue, WWC Green Austera, PC Rainbow, DFS Neon Green Vermiculata.

That's about it I hope you guys like the system and I will update with progress pictures as time goes on!

IMG_0364.JPG
b53671bf6b8cc5480cf33a3c69e77e8d.jpg
IMG_0371.JPG
IMG_0375.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG

How's the return pump working for you? I'm looking to get a DCP Jebao but not sure what size to get. I currently have a SCA 50 gallon PNP, everything stock except did PVC plumbing and got the wood stand. How many settings does the pump have to ramp up and down? What setting do you run yours on?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back