OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the amount of time between paying for the order and the time it showed up at your door?
About three days haha! SCA is only a few hours away from me, so shipping was very quick. Communication with the company was good. I think I paid for it on a Saturday night and it shipped on Monday or Tuesday.

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on building the doors for the stand. Made them out of African mahogany.
IMG_1345.JPG
IMG_1346.JPG
IMG_1347.JPG
IMG_1349.JPG

Still working through how I want to stain them...
MVMR0361.JPG

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some more goodies yesterday.
if anyone in the SF Bay Area/central coast needs a source for poly tanks without the crazy shipping from the online sources, give Mt.Feed and Farm Supply in Ben Lomond a call.
0850BB62-3EED-4871-9236-5F01D008B00D.jpeg

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally making some progress again.
Got the stand back from the powdercoater and finished staining the frames. Hopefully will have time to start plumbing this weekend.
IMG_1377[1].JPG
IMG_1376[1].JPG

Sbpe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like how the stand fits in the corner. Clever design.

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like how the stand fits in the corner. Clever design.
Thanks. I wish corner pentagon tanks were more popular, would have been really nice to find a large one that would have fit here.

Sbpe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the build. I'll be following as I'm considering a similar tank size for my future up grade.

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of work, but got the hard plumbing mostly done today.
IMG_1383[1].JPG
IMG_1382[1].JPG

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a DIY man myself, I can fully appreciate the amount of thought, time, and effort put into everything you've done so far. You do amazing work and I can't wait to see how you finish it off! I really like your stand design and location you've selected for the tank. It gives you extra room for equipment and ATO reservoir. Are you planning on making one side a control panel?

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a DIY man myself, I can fully appreciate the amount of thought, time, and effort put into everything you've done so far. You do amazing work and I can't wait to see how you finish it off! I really like your stand design and location you've selected for the tank. It gives you extra room for equipment and ATO reservoir. Are you planning on making one side a control panel?

Thanks, kodski. Yes working on the control panel as I type this. It will mount in the right cubby area.

This will hopefully be the last tank build for many years, so I told myself I would do everything right the first time, no re-dos, (hopefully) no buying things twice, patients is key, and most importantly no "I wish I woulda done it this way"

I'm basically back in waiting on parts mode. If all goes right, I should be about ready for a wet test next week!

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, I really like how you built the stand into the corner. And your control board looks excellent

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, I really like how you built the stand into the corner. And your control board looks excellent
Thanks for the compliment. The corner layout came out really nice. I think it would have looked cramped if I put it flat against the wall. And I’ve got extra storage space now.

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some decent progress this weekend. Got the fuge light setup, most of the wiring done, started programming the Apex, and did a full leak test.
Found two issues:
1. Slight leak from both end caps of the UV sterilizer, should be an easy fix with new o-rings.
2. Only getting 400 GPH max out of the return pump (DCQ 10000, should do ~2,800gph unrestricted). I know I have a lot of restriction in the system, but need to get way more flow (shooting for 900 GPH). I think the main issue is the dual 1/2" Locline outlets that came with the tank. I'm going to up those to dual 3/4" and hope that helps, otherwise I might need to look for an even more powerful pump.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back