Scared tank is going to crash

Rene42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had an outbreak of marine velvet and brook. I put all my fish in quarantine and running a cupermine treatment. I still have corals in the display tank. Finger leather, 2 leather polys, rock flower anemone, a mini carpet and a condy. All my fish are in quarantine tank so I have nothing in there to keep the ecosystem in check. Now I am getting brown diatom Althea in the display tank. I do have another salt tank that is doing wonderful and has had no issues. I can’t put any corals in there cause I have a chocolate chip starfish in it that is not reef safe. Also in that tank I have 2 clarkies and a file fish. What do I do about my main display tank?

OP
OP
Rene42

Rene42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of the display tank
Just feed it
ok

image.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it were me, I would get more rock. More places to put corals, more space for fish to hide, more biofilter. Live rock, as in proper ocean rock, can introduce biodiversity which will go against the diatoms. It's not required, but would be a good idea.

But yes, ghost-feed. And/or spot feed your corals as much as they'll take.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Diatoms not abnormal and due in part to silicates.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails love to eat diatoms. Also, Why not get some other inverts hermits & shrimp while your tank is fallow. They will keep food chain going when you feed the tank.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip the corals and put them in the other tank, move the chocolate chip over to the qt tank for now. Keep the corals happy and alive. Watch the tank and see what happens with the corals. You can also do ghost feeding but it’s not the same.

OP
OP
Rene42

Rene42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails love to eat diatoms. Also, Why not get some other inverts hermits & shrimp while your tank is fallow. They will keep food chain going when you feed the tank.
I have snails and hermit crabs and a sand sifting starfish and peppermint shrimp in display tank. The chocolate chip starfish ate all my snails in my other tank.

OP
OP
Rene42

Rene42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip the corals and put them in the other tank, move the chocolate chip over to the qt tank for now. Keep the corals happy and alive. Watch the tank and see what happens with the corals. You can also do ghost feeding but it’s not the same.
I hand feed the anemones and condy krill and silver sides

OP
OP
Rene42

Rene42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t move the chocolate starfish to qt tank cause I am running copper in it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back