OP
will0wtr33

will0wtr33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to invest in an auto top off then. It helps in a smaller tank and your back will thank you. I have never seen my scarlets fight with any of my blue or red hermits. So for me, they are the least aggressive. I really don’t think they’re fighting for shells yet when you just recently got them.
I was debating on the tunze nano ATO, but I keep seeing mixed reviews, and heard it's a pain to mount on a tank with a rim. Any suggestions, or is the tunze the way to go?

VietExtender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was debating on the tunze nano ATO, but I keep seeing mixed reviews, and heard it's a pain to mount on a tank with a rim. Any suggestions, or is the tunze the way to go?

I’ve never used the tunze, but my brother uses an autoaqua smart ATO. Though sometimes it has false alarms and we have to replug the unit.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd feed a small amount daily, most crabs IME molt quickly in a new environment. Leave the empty shells for them to change into. My rule of thumb is 3 empty shells per crab. Don't beat yourself up, you aren't a bad crab dad.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see your hermits eats the pellets that you feed?. New, sterile tank with virtually no algae means they hardly eats anything. I fed my hermits (6 animals of different sizes and type) meaty food (shrimp, clams, fish roe, fish meat etc) twice a week to keep them healthy. Other than that, they will eat left over foods missed by my fishes and some algae off the rocks.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And.... Make sure they grab the food offered to them. I am using long bamboo skewers to ensure the meaty food is right in front of the hermits so that they can grab it an eat it.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have high magnesium from IO reef crystals. My hermits last 3 or 4 months with my magnesium above 1600. I loose snails too. I am going to be switching brands because the box says at my salinity it should be below 1400.

OP
OP
will0wtr33

will0wtr33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And.... Make sure they grab the food offered to them. I am using long bamboo skewers to ensure the meaty food is right in front of the hermits so that they can grab it an eat it.
The tank is newly established, but i do have diatom algae all over the rocks for them to eat, and whenever I put the meaty pellets in they go for it. Ill try hand feeding mysis to see if they're still really hungry.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it's hunger then, they love mysis, so will always take an offering over rock grazing.

I still don't think it's anything you're doing wrong, just one of those things with stressed inverts.

OP
OP
will0wtr33

will0wtr33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it's hunger then, they love mysis, so will always take an offering over rock grazing.

I still don't think it's anything you're doing wrong, just one of those things with stressed inverts.
I hope so. The past few months have been stuffed with so much research and agonizing over trying to get everything perfect. It's really discouraging to have my first wave of livestock start dying off. I'll continue to do my best though.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so. The past few months have been stuffed with so much research and agonizing over trying to get everything perfect. It's really discouraging to have my first wave of livestock start dying off. I'll continue to do my best though.
You sound like me, I do my research and get the job done right the first time.

That's not to say I haven't made mistakes along the way with my reefs, but it's a steep learning curve with this hobby and a long one too.

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination and will always be learning, but you sound like you're on the right path and sometimes your supplier plays a part in how successful you are.

I know that deliveries from TMC arrive on Wednesday's at my local shops, so will always wait until the weekend or early part of the following week before buying livestock.

Right or wrong, we all know that the shipping stresses the stock out, so my theory is to give them at least a few days to aclimate before moving them again.

It is conceivable that you are doing everything right, you have just been a bit unlucky with a few hermits.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is newly established, but i do have diatom algae all over the rocks for them to eat, and whenever I put the meaty pellets in they go for it. Ill try hand feeding mysis to see if they're still really hungry.

I might be wrong but hermits are omnivores, scavengers and opportunistic creatures. They do eats diatoms, but in the wild they eat all sorts of things. Mine will start killing snails when they extra hungry (lucky for me I can replenish my snails for free :D). You are doing water changes, I don't think water parameters is the culprit (unless your salt is high in iodine, magnesium or certain element is out of whack. You are using RODi aren't you?). You might try snails instead as your CUC crew, hermits can be added when your tank is more mature with green algae start growing.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean is fine. As your tank matured and when you start adding corals, you’ll probably want to change to something better.

Ok sounds like you’re doing everything right. Hmmm well my only concern is not knowing your alkalinity BUT since you’re using a reliable refractometer to make and check your salt, then your alkalinity levels should be good since there is no CA or ALK uptake with a tank without corals or coralline.
If regular IO is good enough for Jason Fox it's good enough for me. ;)

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too just got my cuc, hermits, snails and extra shells. Seen hermits fighting and flipping the Astros and trochus snails. Offering them mysis and brine shrimp which they gladly accept but they are still little turds when it comes to the shells. Even seen one swapping shells back and forth pretty cool. They made quick work of the diatoms and green algae.

OP
OP
will0wtr33

will0wtr33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you getting on? Have the others settled in now?
Yup! The two that died were the only ones. The other 4 seem happy and healthy.
Added my first fish last night.
Of course he made his cave on the back side of the aquarium...lol
IMG_20180107_164143.jpg

OP
OP
will0wtr33

will0wtr33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also found 2 crab sheds from them molting. Every time I find one my heart stops for a minute until I count all 4 of them still alive lol. It looks just like the bodies from when the first 2 died.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great sulphur goby and good news on your inverts, my gut was right about it just being one of those things. The two that died were probably just over stressed.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back