Scatophagus growth rate

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with scatophagus (spotted and striped) and could give me a little feedback on their growth rates?
I could not find a single thing on google search about scatophagus and their growth rate in aquariums.
I am currently keeping a group of juveniles at 26ppt.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with scatophagus (spotted and striped) and could give me a little feedback on their growth rates?
I could not find a single thing on google search about scatophagus and their growth rate in aquariums.
I am currently keeping a group of juveniles at 26ppt.

Growth rates are so wholly dependent on diet and tank size, that rates really can’t be given. I use fishbase to estimate captive adult sizes of fish, figuring they can eventually reach about 80% of the maximum length given.
Jay

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth rates are so wholly dependent on diet and tank size, that rates really can’t be given. I use fishbase to estimate captive adult sizes of fish, figuring they can eventually reach about 80% of the maximum length given.
Jay
Thanks man!

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess Ill just keep this thread updated with my findings so there is some record on the internet for the future.

I noticed the striped scats in the pet store last year (Oct 2020) when I went in after a while of not visiting. The LFS said they were slow movers and had been for there a some time already. I wanted them, but didn't have the right sized tank (as I know about their potential size).

I have been there a few times since, and eventually decided to get them in April/May this year (2021), and they were approx 4cm in size .
I know LFS don't typically feed fish often, and the smaller holding tanks are not conducive to growth, so there was pretty much no change in their size in 6 - 7 months.

Since being in my tank (3 months ish now), there hasnt been a huge change. they have filled out and look thicker (obviously because I feed them more), and the largest one has put on a little less than 1 cm in three months. The others are about half that.

The spotted scat was from a different LFS, I got 2 of them, but they were really emancipated and didnt look very strong (it was more of a pity/recuse buy). The one spotted scat died the same day he was added, the second fella filled out really well and is now the boss of the whole tank. He is about 5.5cm now.

Both the spotted and striped scats were in full freshwater in both the LFS, and I moved them immediately to full marine.

They either have slower growth rates than I expected, or there was some stunting done in the LFS and they will have a bit of a growth spurt at some point.

Online info says they can reach about 35cm, but its more common and likely they will reach 20 cm ish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing for future reference, when moving fish from low to high salinity, always go gradually to avoid causing severe dehydration. I generally bake three days to move fish that far. Dropping the salinity can be done much faster.
Jay

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update on my scats, its been about 3 months and I have seen a real increase in the growth rates. The smaller ones have almost doubled in size, and the larger ones have put on a good 1 - 1.5cm in this time frame.

This was a little while ago, still smaller in size.

Looking a little bigger now

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And another update on the Scats, they seem to be growing fairly quickly now, looking at upgrading tank size soon. Largest silver scat is about 11 - 12cm now.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. I like the monos too. They are probably a little underused for big fish only tanks. I usually only see them in public aquariums. What's the eventual plan for them?

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. I like the monos too. They are probably a little underused for big fish only tanks. I usually only see them in public aquariums. What's the eventual plan for them?
Yeah I feel like they are quite under appreciated fish. When they are eating their mouths expand to quite a remarkable size.
I understand the Sebae's dont get as large as the Argentus varieties (but still pretty big), with the Sebaes getting quite tall instead of "long".
I already have quotes for a new marine system. (tank is sorted, just having the stand done) which is a 1.5m x 60cm x 60cm.
This will be fine for a little while longer before I rehome them to a chap I know in Abu Dhabi who has a big tank (approx. 1000gals). The new tank is not meant for the monos and the scats in the long term, but will eventually only be for the scats. The monos are more just fillers for now, but the combo of the two are really complimentary and beautiful.

ashi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought green scat fish and i was confused if i should drip then to high salinity or not as the pet shop kept them in fresh water. so after reading this thread i think i can increase the salinity slowing over next couple of day as they are juvenile still. Is there any more suggestion you guys can give?

Back