!!!!SCHIZOPOLIS SUNSET SPOTLIGHT!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I think we can all agree that there is a cumulative abundance of Sunset Millis out there these days, and I’m happy to confess, that I’ve been a sucker for them since the beginning. I remember being absolutely blown away by mere pictures of some of the first ones I had ever seen over on RC. Contrasting polyp and body color has always been a quality I adore in my Acros, and the Sunset exemplifies this beautifully. Granted, these days Sunsets don’t carry the once “grail-like” status they did back then, but are still an undeniably impressive specimen, especially when acclimated and thriving in captivity for a number of years. They are an essential component of any serious SPS reef in my opinion.

220px-Schizopolis_zpsvvqv5jdj.jpg

But just in case this is all new to you, the typical Sunset Milli has a deep orange body and glowing green polyps very much like it’s Montipora predecessor and namesake.

This color combo has come to define the term “Sunset” in the same way thin branches have been broadly clumped together as “dragons”. Of course, some are prettier than others. There are a number of variants out there, from long captive gems like the SunnyX and coveted Insane Sunset, to fresh cultured Indo’s with just as much potential, but yet still need to pass a few tests to establish captive longevity. Some do, and a lot of them don’t. Fortunately for me, the former was the case with my own, now long captive Schizopolis.

The original colony came to me in an order from Occulus around 2011. It was a pretty good-sized order if I recall, and this one was a clear standout amongst a number of other sunsets in the order ranging from "Oh that’s nice” to “Holy wow!" So I chose to keep it. I slapped another silly name on it like I tend to do, and let it grow! Since then, it has become one of my staples. It's a Sunset worthy of recognition and one that can rival the old schoolers for sure, and it’s not like this guy popped up yesterday either. I have been selling the Schizopolis for years now. This is why I know there has to be a few decent colonies out there by now. If you’ve got one, please feel free to share
some pictures. I always do love to see how corals grow out in other tanks.

Especially after a couple years.

Another long overdue highlight, on a deep-rooted member of my collection. The Schizopolis Sunset finally has its day.

IMG_2709%20copy_zpszkawin3c.jpg

IMG_2709_zpsxzb7i62c.jpg

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome Adam. After the holidays I'm hoping to try a few hardy sps (beginner pack). With tight budget fighting cancer in study chemo we can't afford the big dollar stuff especially just starting out with sps. But feel it's part of a beautiful mixed reef that's missing from ours.

Last edited:

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome Adam. After the holidays I'm hoping to try a few hardy sps (beginner pack). With tight budget fighting cancer in study chemo we can't afford the big dollar stuff especially just starting out with sps. But feel it's part of a beautiful mixed reef that's missing from ours.
I'd be happy to donate a few bucks your way to help get you a pack together if you'd accept. Let me know.

Gorgeous coral Adam. Add a piece to the next pack for sure.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sunset has been on my list and one I still haven't gotten my hands on. Probably a good thing since all the ones I have gotten my hands on were murdered lol

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding Milli Adam! Crazy Polyp extension and looks like some explosive growth going on :)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Adam............. he knows how to tickle the Milli lovers here.
Of course I have something really close to this but I like you to frag a nice piece for @steve&mari on my tab, who's chipping in on shipping?
Fighting Cancer is a big deal and a lot of times having a positive view on all sorts of things surrounding the patient will help in the battle.
"The Battle Milli against cancer" Who's in?

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do submit what's left of my PayPal balance to this frag for @steve&mari

It's not much but I'll definitely chip in!

@Diesel

I am putting a pool together. Hang on for now and I will send out a group message once I set something up with Adam. Thanks for chipping in!

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man guys you've overwhelmed us I'm truly grateful for everyone being so kind and generous at this time of year. I am sorry sons had a bad day and been caring for him and haven't been on here. This is truly a great family of reefers and sponsors here. I'm again thankful but don't go without you're wants n needs with your family's. You guys rock and are the best thank you again guys.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man guys you've overwhelmed us I'm truly grateful for everyone being so kind and generous at this time of year. I am sorry sons had a bad day and been caring for him and haven't been on here. This is truly a great family of reefers and sponsors here. I'm again thankful but don't go without you're wants n needs with your family's. You guys rock and are the best thank you again guys.

Steve, it' mine and my family's pleasure to do this.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm extremely grateful to be in a position in my life where I can do this for someone. THIS, is what this time of year is all about. Not more crap that my 4 year old daughter won't really appreciate in 2 weeks. I'm glad we have an amazing community that came together to support you. Thanks everyone!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back