School of tangs

Shiggknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be setting up a 270g tank soon. I want some tangs and I want them to be all the same species.

Is there any species of tang that are more likely to reproduce in captivity?

i know it’s a long shot but what tangs would look good in a group going back and forth?

thanks for everyone’s recommendations.

TheKylersFire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs likely won’t school in an aquarium unless it’s gigantic but sometimes they do swim in tandem and hunt for algae

there’s a handful of people that have had success breeding different tangs if you can find them and copy what they do you could have success with hard work!

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few species of tangs may tolerate the same species in a tank, yellow (although I found they eventually do fall out and kill each other), I have kept 4 Purples together successfully, and I understand Regals can be kept together, I knew someone with a large system who had 5 Gem tangs together but they didn't 'school' or interact.

I had 5 yellow tangs and saw some spawning behavior, the problem is tangs dart towards the surface to release eggs and sperm. My tank is over 3' deep and still wasn't deep enough for them to spawn properly, you will need to plan a very deep tank.

I don't think tangs can count so the number is unimportant.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 9 yellow tangs and if you want to see them there’s a video on the first page of my build thread

I would try and add them to the tank at the same time if you can to avoid/reduce aggression

They do look stunning to be honest, I always wanted a ‘shoal’ of them

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 9 yellow tangs and if you want to see them there’s a video on the first page of my build thread

I would try and add them to the tank at the same time if you can to avoid/reduce aggression

They do look stunning to be honest, I always wanted a ‘shoal’ of them
How long have they been together, mine lasted 3 years before they fell out and started to kill each other.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been together, mine lasted 3 years before they fell out and started to kill each other.
1 year, so 2 more left! Lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd numbers and I’ve seen yellows school

Tangs don’t school .... even in the wild. They move as groups certainly, but not technically schooling. Odd number is important only when talking about two versus three as a mechanism to disperse aggression. Beyond that, it doesn’t matter.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back