School of tangs

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I had this idea to get 7 - 9 yellow tangs for my new 270 build.... but with current prices, this is a no-go.

What other tangs that don't cost an arm, leg and a kidney would somewhat stick together to create a "school"?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this idea? With your size aquarium, you should be able to pickup some tangs that have outgrown smaller aquariums. I will be selling my Orange Shoulder tang in about 6 months as he outgrows my setup (90 gallons). Will sell at a great price to ensure he is in the RIGHT home!

97FBCB4C-2586-4789-BAED-C91207AACE00.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this idea? With your size aquarium, you should be able to pickup some tangs that have outgrown smaller aquariums. I will be selling my Orange Shoulder tang in about 6 months as he outgrows my setup (90 gallons). Will sell at a great price to ensure he is in the RIGHT home!

97FBCB4C-2586-4789-BAED-C91207AACE00.jpeg
This is a pretty good idea. May not get a bunch of yellows as you wanted.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This is a pretty good idea. May not get a bunch of yellows as you wanted.

If the yellows don't come down to manageable prices I'd love a school of different tangs.

The question is which ones aren't going to kill one another when there are 7-9 of the same.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the yellows don't come down to manageable prices I'd love a school of different tangs.

The question is which ones aren't going to kill one another when there are 7-9 of the same.
Yes, introduction of multiple adult tangs at different times will be a headache, but at the end, could end up with an amazing Tang gang.

Sailfin, vlamingi, Atlantic blues are often rehomed when they get too large. All of those would be on my short list!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somewhat stick together to create a "school"?
I'm glad your expectations are where they should be here.

I have not seen any species of tangs actually school in a home aquarium, unless the definition of schooling means to tolerate each other in a loose group. I don't mean that you can't have multiples, but some people don't have the right expectations.

Purples are sometimes cheaper than the current yellow prices. Scopas are usually about the cheapest tangs. I wouldn't try a group of the sailfins in that size of tank.

What about pyramid butterflies? They do great in pairs or groups and will not harm each other, or anything else.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm glad your expectations are where they should be here.

I have not seen any species of tangs actually school in a home aquarium, unless the definition of schooling means to tolerate each other in a loose group. I don't mean that you can't have multiples, but some people don't have the right expectations.

Purples are sometimes cheaper than the current yellow prices. Scopas are usually about the cheapest tangs. I wouldn't try a group of the sailfins in that size of tank.

What about pyramid butterflies? They do great in pairs or groups and will not harm each other, or anything else.

While not truly a schooling fish, I've seen many videos where yellow tangs tend to hang together in large home aquaria.

I'm actually not a fan of single yellows being kept as there are more beautiful tangs out there but I absolutely love when you see a bunch of them going about their business around the tank.

That said, interesting recommendation re butterflies but I don't think they'd be as aggressive with algae control as the yellow tangs are. I'll look into it regardless.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes, introduction of multiple adult tangs at different times will be a headache, but at the end, could end up with an amazing Tang gang.

Sailfin, vlamingi, Atlantic blues are often rehomed when they get too large. All of those would be on my short list!

Thanks for chiming in but the question isn't what I can put together, it is which tangs of the same variety could be safely kept in a larger group say of 7-9 specimens. In other words, like the yellow tangs, can I keep 9 powder-browns together?

etc.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 270 you won't be able to keep 7-9 same species of any tang for very long. Even yellows as they get closer to adulthood, will fight a lot. I wish I had more pictures of the spine damage from full size adult tangs, they can be nasty/fatal.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back