Science experiment time - catnip in a reef

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, time to see what happens to a SPS tank that had a small tube of dried catnip added to it.
My son with autism keeps things interesting and added it while I was at the store.

I removed what I could physically, changed filter floss, emptied a full skimmer that looks like it might have captured a lot of it, tossed in new chemipure blue, and a bag of zeolites. So far everything looks normal, been 3 hours or so.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too Much Fainting GIF

OP
OP
LegendaryCG

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running carbon???
And crossing your fingers?
Yea the chemipure is a carbon + ion exchange. Zeolites also bind excess ammonia and heavy metals. Theoretically, I would hope there isn’t a lot of bad stuff on it since it’s a pet thing but who knows.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catnip is really pest resistant so it likely hasnt been sprayed with pesticides just a waste of money for the grower. Same goes for foliar fertilizer its pointless to use on a plant that grows like a weed (it is one). So you should be okay as far as chemical sprays go although I wonder how the oils and aromatics in catnip will effect your tank.

OP
OP
LegendaryCG

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catnip is really pest resistant so it likely hasnt been sprayed with pesticides just a waste of money for the grower. Same goes for foliar fertilizer its pointless to use on a plant that grows like a weed (it is one). So you should be okay as far as chemical sprays go although I wonder how the oils and aromatics in catnip will effect your tank.
Well skimmer was full so the oil may have been removed.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back