Scoly and button scoly touch?

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you put scoly and button scoly next to to other? I want to glue the button close to my scoly. Also my scoly seems to be outgrowing it’s skeleton base so it’s crinkled, is that normal? How can it grow the base more?

IMG_1115.jpeg

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend it, as regular scolies and button scolies are from different genera: regular being Homophyllia and button being Micromussa.

OP
OP
codenfx

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one on the right looks like a trachyphyllia

Edit: I read it wrong, right one is button. It’s very small.

It’s a scoly. Overtime it started looking like it is now, not sure why. Seems to have outgrown its base diameter so it’s crinkled up. This what it looks like when I first got it.

IMG_7154.jpeg

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your calcium and magnesium levels? Also are you using Kalk to help corals absorb nutrients better?

Also look for pest, the lower right section of the scoly looks like expose skeleton. Maybe a coral disease or pest

OP
OP
codenfx

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your calcium and magnesium levels? Also are you using Kalk to help corals absorb nutrients better?

Also look for pest, the lower right section of the scoly looks like expose skeleton. Maybe a coral disease or pest
Calcium 470, mag at 1500. I don’t use kalk. Dosing small amount of all for reef, phytoplankton, restor, iodide, amino but not all are daily. All corals in my tank are happy, I think the scoly is happy, puffs up when lights are on. It was bad at one point where it stayed retracted for months and bubble algae/other algae start growing on its skeleton because I had neglected the tank but I had since clean it off and it’s fine now. Probably why it’s looking like it is now.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium 470, mag at 1500. I don’t use kalk. Dosing small amount of all for reef, phytoplankton, restor, iodide, amino but not all are daily. All corals in my tank are happy, I think the scoly is happy, puffs up when lights are on. It was bad at one point where it stayed retracted for months and bubble algae/other algae start growing on its skeleton because I had neglected the tank but I had since clean it off and it’s fine now. Probably why it’s looking like it is now.
Yup you found your answer, if algae got on the skeleton then the coral won’t grow over it. Just make sure you keep the tank clean and the coral skeleton if possible

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back