Scoly Propagation- Round Two

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't seem good at all for the hobbyist.....the more something can be fragged, the more it will cost for the colony. What was a $200 scoly will be a $500 scoly with $100 frags....

nature786

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't seem good at all for the hobbyist.....the more something can be fragged, the more it will cost for the colony. What was a $200 scoly will be a $500 scoly with $100 frags....

I wouldn't worry about that yet! We don't know if after being fraged; a Scoly acts like an Acan or just decides to say Goodbye.

mrnewberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If we don't propagate them one day we might discover that the supply has been cut off and no longer have them in the hobby.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... looks liked it can be successfully done, based off @mrnewberry Post #70.

i love scolys. one of my favorite lps corals. :)

i echo the concern of an earlier post ... i hope this doesn’t mean $100 frags right from the start and full specimens jumping fr the current $150-$250 to upwards of $400-$500. :confused:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... looks liked it can be successfully done, based off @mrnewberry Post #70.

i love scolys. one of my favorite lps corals. :)

i echo the concern of an earlier post ... i hope this doesn’t mean $100 frags right from the start and full specimens jumping fr the current $150-$250 to upwards of $400-$500. :confused:

Aren’t the frags now just wild individuals? Wouldn’t this allow to have actual scoly frags?

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t the frags now just wild individuals?

do you mean to ask if scolys bud off from a parent the way a nem or mushroom would?

i’ve read that scolys reproduce sexually (spawning into the water) but i don’t know much else about their reproduction. i don’t think they “bud.”

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you mean to ask if scolys bud off from a parent the way a nem or mushroom would?

i’ve read that scolys reproduce sexually (spawning into the water) but i don’t know much else about their reproduction. i don’t think they “bud.”

My questions is more about are the scolys we get all wild caught? We might call small ones “frags” but that seems to be more a term for fragments of corals in aquaculture. Seems like it would be nice to have both options wild and aquaculture.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have been a failure, since we never got an update and I'm sure we would have had it been successful.

Or maybe it was wildly successful and they want to keep it a trade secret

Care to fill us in @uniquecorals ? It's been about 10 years.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have been a failure, since we never got an update and I'm sure we would have had it been successful.

Or maybe it was wildly successful and they want to keep it a trade secret

Care to fill us in @uniquecorals ? It's been about 10 years.
I’ve cut one, still have 1 out of two pieces. I also purchased a saved one, pie shape, now round. The second pie shape one didn’t make it. My mistake the MG wasn’t high enough. They seem to do better with higher level in my case. Now I can tell when they need a bump of MG. Photo below is the pie wedge.
IMG_9392.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back