Scoly Propagation- Round Two

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scolymia have always enjoyed a dedicated following, and they are among the most compelling and "collectible" of all corals, in our opinion. They do require some care and knowledge of their needs, and are not just "set and forget" corals. If there needs are understood and met, however, Scolymia are interesting and surprisingly durable long-term additions to a reef aquarium. They tend to be somewhat pricy, because they are traditionally hand-collected from the wild.

Our hope is to learn more about the captive propagation of these compelling corals, so as to help lessen the impact of wild collection over time. We will share our experiences and what knowledge we do gain, so that the hobby, industry, and most important- wild populations- may benefit from this.

Interestingly, Scolys appear to be more popular all of the sudden in the trade and hobby. In fact, it seems like an emerging trend is that everyone is featuring Scolys...Which means that UC is probably not going to feature them quite as prominently right now. (We love looking at trends, because then we know exactly what we shouldn’t be doing!)

Nonetheless, we received a lot of response to our last thread about our “big experimentâ€, fragging Scolymia with the intention of creating a commercially viable, cost-effective frag that will make these awesome corals more affordable to the average hobbyist. There was so much interest that we decided to start a thread documenting the process a bit more as we move forward with the next round.

Again, we realize that we are not working on a Nobel-Prize-winning thing here, but we are trying, with our meager experiment, to see if we can make the fragging and captive propagation of these corals less intimidating and more common, particularly at a commercial level. And there is much to learn!

We are fortunate to have a pretty large inventory of wild-collected Aussie Scolymia to work with at any given time, so finding suitable specimens to work with is not that difficult for us.

This time, we’ve chosen three different Australian Scolymia for fragging:

IMG_9130.jpg

A greenish “Striped Apple†morph, a “Warpaint†morph, and an orange one that we called the “Clockwork Orange.†All three were in good health, chosen from our collection because they had different color characteristics that we wanted to observe during the post-fragging recovery period. We’re curious if the color patterns are “programmed†genetically into the coral and will grow out exactly the same on each section, or if some other color pattern will emerge.

Also, each one had a different skeletal characteristic, which was useful in helping us determine which become the most suitable corals for fragging. Some Scolys have thick skeletons and a lot of tissue, and others are much thinner, with less tissue. We’re wondering which are the best candidates for propagation.

Sure, none of the Scolys we are working with in our initial rounds are “A Grade†pieces...We are still a bit hesitant to take one of our awesome specimens “under the knifeâ€, as it were! Once we have a bit more experience and confidence with this process, we will work with one of our better specimens in Round Three...Perhaps we will have enough confidence to take one of those "A Grade" Scoly specimens to the saw one day!

Masterpiece scoly  $850.jpg

We used one of our conventional Gryphon fragging saws to do the job, making simple, yet accurate cuts through the tissue and skeleton. Most Scolymia that we receive from our Aussie source are collected with a small bit of rock upon which they grow, so fragging required that we cut through the underlying rock as well. Each cut was made directly through the center of the coral, with great care made to preserve part of the central “mouth†on each section.

IMG_9134.jpg

IMG_9140.jpg

We did a few cuts on one of the specimens without the mouth, to see if the development of a new mouth will force faster growth, or if there is any impact at all, positive or negative. We also deliberately cut a few random small pieces of tissue from the side of one of the specimens to see what recovery and grow-out times are like on specimens handled in that manner.

IMG_9143.jpg

We think that various types of cuts would have different healing and growth patterns, so it certainly warrants investigation! Of partucular interest to us is how/if a coral heals well without any of the mouth preserved. So much to learn.

IMG_9130.jpg

Masterpiece scoly  $850.jpg

IMG_9134.jpg

IMG_9140.jpg

IMG_9143.jpg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We cut one of the specimens by “scoring” the skeleton from underneath, partially cutting into the tissue. The theory of this type of cut is to allow the coral to “frag” itself by allowing the tissue to “pull away” from it’s respective sections.This was suggested by another coral person who has done some of this work on an experimental basis in the past and claimed interesting results. We’re not 100% sure if this will result in the coral simply healing where the cuts were made, or actually pulling apart into distinct sections, so this will be interesting!

IMG_9150.jpg

Note that we cut away as much of the underlying rock and a cross section of the bottom of the skeleton as possible, for ease of fragging and recovery. Ever see the inside of a Scolymia skeleton? It’s pretty cool!

IMG_9153-2.jpg

Each section was then dipped for several minutes in a standard coral dip (we used “Coral RX” in this instance) before being placed in one of our LPS raceways under T5 lighting for recovery and grow-out. We will carefully observe them for any signs of disease or fragging-related traumas over the next week or so.

Scoly_Cuts_Oct_3_1.jpg

Our flow in our raceway systems is gyre-based, and we have long felt that this dynamic flow methodology has resulted in faster healing and growth than other propagation systems we have utilized over the years. With massive, yet gentle indirect flow, dissolved gasses and nutrients are evenly distributed to the frags. We also feel that the higher flow rate keeps debris, mucous and bacterial films/materials from settling on the corals post-cut, which speeds healing.

Scoly_Cuts_Oct_3_4.jpg

Now comes the interesting part- seeing how the recovery and grow out goes. We will be feeding these corals along with the entire system they are in, which we do on a regular basis, so we will see how this affects their growth. Also, we will see if the smaller sections without mouths grow any faster, or rather, wether or not the mouth develops faster, that is.

So, there is the initial report on phase one of round two of our Scoly experiment. We’ll be updating regularly to document the success or failure of the process as it moves along.

Again, this is not a monumental achievement or some ground-breaking moment in the history of coral fragging and propagation. We haven’t really done anything yet other than simply DO it! However, it is the next phase in an ongoing experiment to test the viability of propagating these frags on a commercial basis, so that we could glean as much as we can from the process, possibly help relieve the pressure on wild populations, and create a market for propagated Scolymia at a price point that more hobbyists can afford. We are not certain, but we do not believe that has been done before to any great extent.

Scoly_Cuts_Oct_3_9.jpg

We will be much more excited when it comes time to frag one of our frags and grow it out to a viable market size! Then, we can say with greater certainty that we will be breaking a bit of new ground. We’re still learning and refining the best techniques to make the initial frags and heal/grow them out, of course. The truly captive-propagated ones will be very, very special for both the hobby and the industry, and that will be a truly exciting achievement!

Thanks for following along...We’ll be updating on a fairly regular basis, and we are open to suggestions, questions, observations, criticisms, etc. throughout the journey. As always, your input is valuable, and we look forward to sharing what we learn during this process with you!

Warm regards,

Scott Fellman and Joseph Caparatta
Unique Corals

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that you guys are pursuing this. Since you have a few pieces. FRANKENSCOLY

LOL thanks...It's an interesting experiment and kind of fun. We hope that our initial stumblings inspire others to at least try it and share their findings. I mean, all we've done thus far is cut up some corals, but we're good at taking notes! Love the idea of trying a grafted Scoly...think we need to get the basics down first, but hang in there!

-Scott

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea although I did get a little sick seeing it cut up lol

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea although I did get a little sick seeing it cut up lol

Yeah, we were all oddly squeamish about the whole thing...but the results were encouraging the first time, so we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Scoly_Cuts_Oct_3_7.jpg

I remember the same sickening feeling the first time I fragged a Pocillopora back in the day...LOL

-Scott

RacinRevo0818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for sharing this great experiment!! Most would keep this all on the down low and you guys enjoy sharing everything. Going to be keeping my eye on this thread!!! Great Job

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for sharing this great experiment!! Most would keep this all on the down low and you guys enjoy sharing everything. Going to be keeping my eye on this thread!!! Great Job

I mean, if we keep it on the down low, then no one would want to share with us, either- and we would all lose out on a chance to help learn about propagating these amazing corals. Besides, it's more fun when you share!

-Scott

MoeManTheSnowMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your write ups! Always enojing reading them. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge with all of us.

I just hope we all don't start getting frags of scollys in the future. It just wouldn't be the same.

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the project Scott. A departed friend and great reefkeeper cut up a Rhizo several years ago, but then got sick and ended up losing his complete system. Unfortunately that experiment was lost.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the project Scott. A departed friend and great reefkeeper cut up a Rhizo several years ago, but then got sick and ended up losing his complete system. Unfortunately that experiment was lost.

That's a bummer...Hopefully, we can pick up in the spirit in which he started...Let's hope this keeps going well.

-Scott

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following this process! pelase keep a weekly or every few days update. maybe something in a few days time will start to recied or maybe youll notice a little more flesh. something great to tell us. i will be researching the heck out of this myself. so happy someone is doing it and spreading it.

franklypre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I predict it will all work out well and should give everyone the chance to own a scoly. I cut up my fungia a few weeks back and it's doing fine. I don't have the nice equipment ya'll have so I used a chef knife and a hammer, sounds harsh but even the pieces without mouth are fine. I lost one small piece that was more of a breakoff than an intentional cut. I enjoy the documentation, it's awesome that ya'll take the time to let us know with the write-ups.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following this process! pelase keep a weekly or every few days update. maybe something in a few days time will start to recied or maybe youll notice a little more flesh. something great to tell us. i will be researching the heck out of this myself. so happy someone is doing it and spreading it.

We'll definitely stay on top of things!

-Scott

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back