Scopas tang with black spots on dorsal fin

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this scopas tang in a 95 gallon tank and all the water parameters are spot on, the tang has black spots on its fin and it’s slowly creeping down to its body, it’s had these things on it since around November and I’ve tried treating with prazipro and that didn’t work and I tried melafix and Pimafix and that didn’t work either, the fish seems to be alright with it, he eats whenever I feed him and just seems normal but I’d like to find out what’s wrong before it spreads more. Thanks to everyone that reads this

26E36C40-E27A-4C04-8644-278805B71A18.jpeg A923745E-857E-4CBB-ACDA-6C2892EC9D09.jpeg 64481EC3-10BB-4BAA-B64B-218CD5E87A18.jpeg

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see very well but could be ‘black ich’ see links

Pictures of common fish diseases

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this scopas tang in a 95 gallon tank and all the water parameters are spot on, the tang has black spots on its fin and it’s slowly creeping down to its body, it’s had these things on it since around November and I’ve tried treating with prazipro and that didn’t work and I tried melafix and Pimafix and that didn’t work either, the fish seems to be alright with it, he eats whenever I feed him and just seems normal but I’d like to find out what’s wrong before it spreads more. Thanks to everyone that reads this

26E36C40-E27A-4C04-8644-278805B71A18.jpeg A923745E-857E-4CBB-ACDA-6C2892EC9D09.jpeg 64481EC3-10BB-4BAA-B64B-218CD5E87A18.jpeg

That isn't tang turbellarian (black ich).

Does this fish always keep its fins folded, or does it extend them normally? Due to the chronic nature of this, and lack of other symptoms, I doubt that it is an infective disease process. I've seen some weird color changes in Scopas - not exactly like this, but maybe?

Jay

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't tang turbellarian (black ich).

Does this fish always keep its fins folded, or does it extend them normally? Due to the chronic nature of this, and lack of other symptoms, I doubt that it is an infective disease process. I've seen some weird color changes in Scopas - not exactly like this, but maybe?

Jay
Yeah he extends his fins normally, just not typically when eating algae, good to know that it’s probably not a disease, thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not Black ich - Agree
I wonder if any damage if it were extended ? Generally , entering a net into the tank will startle fish causing it to elevate the fin and you may be able to see any damage, hemorrage, etc

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see very well but could be ‘black ich’ see links

Pictures of common fish diseases

I thought it was at first but I tried treating with prazipro and it did not do anything so that got scratched off the list

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Black ich - Agree
I wonder if any damage if it were extended ? Generally , entering a net into the tank will startle fish causing it to elevate the fin and you may be able to see any damage, hemorrage, etc
Ok I’ll try and get him to extend his fin, it looks like a lot of black spots on the front of his fin and that’s about it, everything else seems normal

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Black ich - Agree
His fin does seem to be a little bit shorter than other scopas tangs but it’s always been like that so I don’t think it has anything to do with this but I could be wrong

Attachments

• CA893B05-30B8-400B-B898-C5469E949532.jpeg
    CA893B05-30B8-400B-B898-C5469E949532.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DBDB05C0-7EB6-4AF1-A01F-371D4EDB8C5E.jpeg
    DBDB05C0-7EB6-4AF1-A01F-371D4EDB8C5E.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 9D9B1B0B-57CF-4AC7-9AE5-99E9109B4207.jpeg
    9D9B1B0B-57CF-4AC7-9AE5-99E9109B4207.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 8B9804EF-9118-4B05-838A-5EEBCA67F173.jpeg
    8B9804EF-9118-4B05-838A-5EEBCA67F173.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Black ich - Agree
Not Black ich - Agree
Here’s one more too

Attachments

• 10B5A034-280E-4609-86E6-A90B8D2C0292.jpeg
    10B5A034-280E-4609-86E6-A90B8D2C0292.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 114

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, that is clearer to me now. Zebrasoma tangs show head and lateral line erosion differently than other tangs - in these fish, it starts by shortening of the dorsal and anal fin rays, and sometimes the caudal fin. I can’t say 100% that is what’s going on here, but I’m leaning in that direction now.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Better pic
I see HLLE, and possible bacterial/fin rot on the upper fin which points to diet and water quality. You say your parameters are good. Can you define good with the actual numbers ? What test kits are you using? If its API, there may be an issue already. Also you indicated it eats well. What foods are you feeding ?

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pic
I see HLLE, and possible bacterial/fin rot on the upper fin which points to diet and water quality. You say your parameters are good. Can you define good with the actual numbers ? What test kits are you using? If its API, there may be an issue already. Also you indicated it eats well. What foods are you feeding ?
Yeah my test kit is api and I feed tetra marine pellets, mysis shrimp and dried green marine algae, obviously not all in one day and it also eats algae that grows in the tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah my test kit is api and I feed tetra marine pellets, mysis shrimp and dried green marine algae, obviously not all in one day
I would highly suggest getting a second opinion on water by taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API tests and see what readings they come up with and for comparison. API notorious for false test readings and have let down many reefers hence the LOW price for a master kit.
As for diet- Very inadequate. Feed at minimum:

Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
small plankton
LRS Herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Hikari veggie cuisine
Hikari marine cuisine

Add liquid selcon to the foods 2-3x weekly and garlic extract on alternating days

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly suggest getting a second opinion on water by taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API tests and see what readings they come up with and for comparison. API notorious for false test readings and have let down many reefers hence the LOW price for a master kit.

spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
small plankton
LRS Herbivore diet
Hikari veggie cuisine
Hikari marine cuisine

Add liquid selcon to the foods 2-3x weekly and garlic extract on alternating days
Wow everything I’ve seen has said mysis shrimp dried algae and that’s about it, so apparently I’m way behind on basically everything, thank you, I’ll get a new test kit and a lot more food

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
small plankton
LRS Herbivore diet
Hikari veggie cuisine
Hikari marine cuisine

Also what test would you recommend? And would it be alright just to get a new test kit because it’ll probably be about the same price to have someone else test it as it would be just to get a new one

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also what test would you recommend? And would it be alright just to get a new test kit because it’ll probably be about the same price to have someone else test it as it would be just to get a new one
Hanna

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
small plankton
LRS Herbivore diet
Hikari veggie cuisine
Hikari marine cuisine

I’ve just looked back in my photos from December and yes, his fin shrank, I feel like an idiot for not doing more research into its diet and the api test kits but I’ll get a better kit and hopefully get that Hanna kit and I’ll get all that food and also do more water changes until the kit comes. Thank you so much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back