Scottayy's 13.5 fluval evo 13.5 reef build

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I decided to start a build thread because it's encouraged here! I don't expect much discussion because it's just a normal nano reef build. But it's my first, so it'll be fun for me!

It'll also be fun to update and check back from time to time to see my progress.

This tank is in my office (I work from home) and it's already fun to stare at when I'm slacking.

Here's where I'm at.

I'm cycled and added my first 2 fish (baby clownfish). I also added a cleanup crew.

My equipment :

Fluval evo 13.5 tank
Fluval m50 heater
Fluval ps2 skimmer
Red sea coral pro salt
20 lbs arag alive Fiji pink sand
~15 lbs dry rock
Stock light
Stock return pump
Hygger mini 1600gph WaveMaker with controller

When I first got the tank, I immediately went to lowes and got some krylon fusion spray paint and painted the "back" black. Painting tanks was all the rage 10 years ago when I left the hobby. Doesn't seem to be all that popular anymore but I love the all black look. I feel it makes the corals and fish pop more.

I cycled in 10 days (!) with Fishless Fuel brand ammonia and fritzyme 9 bacteria in a bottle. I can highly recommend both!

20211031_192958.jpg

After I was cycled and added ammonia again to be sure I was cycled, I did a very large water change (about 90%). My nitrates were still around 20 so I did another 50% water change.

Then I ordered my 2 baby clownfish!

20211116_111348.jpg

A few days later I ordered my cleanup crew. It was a 10 gallon nano reef cleanup crew pack which includes :

4xAssorted Red & Blue Leg Hermits
2xScarlet Reef Hermits
3xXL Nassarius Snails
3xAstrea Snails
3xCerith Snails
1xTurbo Snails

And here they are, happy in my tank. I dropped some algae tablets because I don't have much, if any, algae yet.

20211118_195038.jpg

20211118_195032.jpg
20211118_195025.jpg
20211118_195020.jpg
20211118_195015.jpg
20211118_195009.jpg

The shells have some nice coraline, which I hope seeds my tank with it. And I hope it survives through the ugly stage.

That's where I'm at now, and I'm eagerly awaiting updates to this thread. :)

Thank you to anyone who follows along.

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the collection of snails! Even if some are mine are stupid, I do like snails! I've got 2 Nassarius snails as well, the crabs like to pick on mine actually, but I just love how they can flip them off lol. I'll help soon with the protein skimmer and look forward to seeing how your Evo adventure goes too :)

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the collection of snails! Even if some are mine are stupid, I do like snails! I've got 2 Nassarius snails as well, the crabs like to pick on mine actually, but I just love how they can flip them off lol. I'll help soon with the protein skimmer and look forward to seeing how your Evo adventure goes too :)
Thanks!

They sent me some extra, which I assume was in case some didn't make it during shipping. I thought it would be too much, but now that they have dispersed, it doesn't seem like much at all.

They are very cool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking ahead about my first corals here in a few months. I really like GSP, which I hear the stick fluval light handles well. I want a rock or back wall covered with it.

What are your guys thoughts on GSP in such a small tank? Will it take over everything?

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update.

Everything is going great. Tank is now progressing through ugly stage and my skimmer is broke in and working great.

20211201_141209.jpg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grats on the new tank! Would you say slacking has increased? I have an Evo at home currently and a 10g going into the office after Xmas.

I'm finding GSP grows well, but I put in a Fluval Marine 3.0 light with a supplemental bar from 21LED. In hindsight, would consider something else like maybe a Hipargero or sticking with the stock light--it should work fine for GSP and other stuff like mushrooms and some LPS. Mine are doing fine and I have the power of the whites turned way down.

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grats on the new tank! Would you say slacking has increased? I have an Evo at home currently and a 10g going into the office after Xmas.

I'm finding GSP grows well, but I put in a Fluval Marine 3.0 light with a supplemental bar from 21LED. In hindsight, would consider something else like maybe a Hipargero or sticking with the stock light--it should work fine for GSP and other stuff like mushrooms and some LPS. Mine are doing fine and I have the power of the whites turned way down.

Slacking has definitely increased! It's fun watching the clownfish, of course, but I didn't expect how fun it would be to watch the crabs and the snails.

My plan for the GSP is a little rock island in the front and to cover the back wall. I want lots of flowy stuff in this tank!

I'm sticking with the stock lighting, not for any reason except I absolutely hate the tinkering and equipment aspect. I have it set up, just want to focus on water chemistry and livestock now.

Later down the line after the ugly stage and a few corals, I would like to get a bubble tip anemone for my clowns. Do you think the stock evo light would support? That might be the only reason I would upgrade my light but I have read of some people keeping BTA in stock evo lighting. But I would want it to thrive, not survive.

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday my sister texted me and told me she got me a Christmas present but she couldn't keep it at her house so she had to bring it over.

I never would've expected it, but she got me a green bubble tip anemone!!

I'm very excited, but I wasn't planning on getting one for at least 6 months, allowing my tank time to mature. But here he is!

This guy is big and looks really healthy. This picture is RIGHT after he went in the tank (like 5 minutes after acclimation). I'll post another picture after he's settled and fully extended.

20211211_230851.jpg

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe how smooth everything is going with this tank.

Today, my clownfish started hosting the anemone.

20211215_204608.jpg

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I decided to start a build thread because it's encouraged here! I don't expect much discussion because it's just a normal nano reef build. But it's my first, so it'll be fun for me!

It'll also be fun to update and check back from time to time to see my progress.

This tank is in my office (I work from home) and it's already fun to stare at when I'm slacking.

Here's where I'm at.

I'm cycled and added my first 2 fish (baby clownfish). I also added a cleanup crew.

My equipment :

Fluval evo 13.5 tank
Fluval m50 heater
Fluval ps2 skimmer
Red sea coral pro salt
20 lbs arag alive Fiji pink sand
~15 lbs dry rock
Stock light
Stock return pump
Hygger mini 1600gph WaveMaker with controller

When I first got the tank, I immediately went to lowes and got some krylon fusion spray paint and painted the "back" black. Painting tanks was all the rage 10 years ago when I left the hobby. Doesn't seem to be all that popular anymore but I love the all black look. I feel it makes the corals and fish pop more.

I cycled in 10 days (!) with Fishless Fuel brand ammonia and fritzyme 9 bacteria in a bottle. I can highly recommend both!

20211031_192958.jpg

After I was cycled and added ammonia again to be sure I was cycled, I did a very large water change (about 90%). My nitrates were still around 20 so I did another 50% water change.

Then I ordered my 2 baby clownfish!

20211116_111348.jpg

A few days later I ordered my cleanup crew. It was a 10 gallon nano reef cleanup crew pack which includes :

4xAssorted Red & Blue Leg Hermits
2xScarlet Reef Hermits
3xXL Nassarius Snails
3xAstrea Snails
3xCerith Snails
1xTurbo Snails

And here they are, happy in my tank. I dropped some algae tablets because I don't have much, if any, algae yet.

20211118_195038.jpg

20211118_195032.jpg
20211118_195025.jpg
20211118_195020.jpg
20211118_195015.jpg
20211118_195009.jpg

The shells have some nice coraline, which I hope seeds my tank with it. And I hope it survives through the ugly stage.

That's where I'm at now, and I'm eagerly awaiting updates to this thread. :)

Thank you to anyone who follows along.
where did you order your CUC?

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're great! They sent more than the pack I ordered said it would contain. I guess in case some didn't make it during shipping.

However, they all made it and they all are thriving. No evidence of disease or parasites.

Would recommend!

I did have to buy some empty shells for the hermit crabs though. You might want to as well if you get some. They will kill other crabs and snails for their shells if you don't.

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're great! They sent more than the pack I ordered said it would contain. I guess in case some didn't make it during shipping.

However, they all made it and they all are thriving. No evidence of disease or parasites.

Would recommend!

I did have to buy some empty shells for the hermit crabs though. You might want to as well if you get some. They will kill other crabs and snails for their shells if you don't.
I've had that happen. Have you been able to keep them all fed? I may just pop by an LFS and get a similar population of inverts but more diverse

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would recommend!

Second on the extra shells, and get bigger ones too (they love inspecting them even though it's ridiculously oversized). Mine finally left my Nassarius and my conch alone after dumping lots of shells in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back